Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

As the doom and gloom of possibly higher prices and higher taxes, have you started to think about how you will adjust your budget, or are you just going to wait and adjust as you go?

I'm to worried about waiting to wait.  I'm going through and looking at what can be eliminated now.  Like phones... I'm a sahm, I have Internet, I have a land line, and I"m usually home, I want to go to just a plan where I can talk and text.. I dont' need data.. but I'm not sure if I can do that. Same with dh, when he is at work, he doesn't take his phone with him, he leaves it in the car, and all he really does is text and call.  So I want to go back to old phones, but I don't want a contract, so I'm going to look into prepaid.  

I'm going to invest in a bike trailer for my bike so once it is warm enough me and the kids can bike or just walk where we need to go in town instead of using gas.  

Not sure where else we could cut, need dh to sit down with me and help dwindle down expenses. I'd rather have a plan of action in place then wait. 

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Replies (31-40):
ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting Bonneata:

We already have cut our expenses down to the minimum. I have found others ways to save though still. Couponong, second hand and consignment shops for clothes. I can not justify new clothes every three months for a kid that grows like a weed.) this spring I plan on parking my car at the grocery store and taking the bus to run errands while saving gas. Do you live in a house with space for a garden? Plant a garden in the spring can what you can't eat or sell it . 

I do have a place to garden, me and my sil have done a good size garden for the past two years and we are going to do better this year, hopefully when we move this spring we will find a  place so that we can have a garden as well, I'm also thinking of investing in making a small green house to help up our produce.  I'm wanting to go hunting as well... but hunting is really slim in this area.. not sure if the numbers are dwindling, or if the elk and deer have moved locations do to the wolves.  I'm working on crafts to save up and sell at the farmers market and will try selling some of my baked goods (breads, cupcakes, cookies, pretzels, ect).  WE shop second hand, and pretty much I always have.  I will be using cloth diapers on this one (did with my first four, and then off and on with number five, but I'm just going to do cloth with this baby)... I am not couping savy though.. so perhaps I need ot look at that.  I've been learning to make homemade things like shampoo, and toothpaste, and scrubs, and lotions, laundry detergent, and cleaning supplies... I mean, we will be fine.. but I'm worried still abit. 

A good couponing site is http://thekrazycouponlady.com/

daughteroftruth
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Quoting MessedUpMama:

As far as the phones go, isn't it like $10 for an added line? It is with ours. So, just have them suspended until the contract is up. You won't be able to use them any more so you won't need data or texting or anything else. It would cost $10 a month for each line you are using. Then when the contract is up for those lines, call and cancel each as the contract ends. Don't get involved again with that situation.

Cut back or turn off cable. Learn to reuse things you already have. Make do, as my Mom and Grandmother used to say. Make sure that the food you buy is the food your family will eat. If you make more than your family will eat, make sure that you have leftovers for dinner or lunch, never through food out make sure you eat it all. Freeze it if you won't eat it right away. Turn off things you are not actively using, unplug things your don't use a lot. Keep the temp. in the house lower than is perfect for you and wear layers indoors to keep warm. In the summer don't use your AC until the temp. gets over 100 degrees and then only use it to make it bearable, not comfortable. Don't go out to eat, don't go to movies, Learn to sew, knit, crochet and any other craft you can do to make things your family will wear and use. Don't use credit to buy things. If you can't pay cash you can't afford it.

There are lots of ways you can cut costs. I make my own seasoning mixes for pennies as compaired to the packages I can buy in the store. I make my own bisquick, and often make cakes from scratch because they usually cost much less than store bought. I'm planning on baking our own bread, as soon as I find a recipe that will work well for sandwiches. We got a Soda Stream, to save on costs for carbinated drinks. Plus we can controll the amount of sugar and preservatives that way. We aren't very worried about things getting harder. If it happens, we will adjust and make do with what we have. I know how to repair clothing so it will last longer, I can take old sweaters, unravel them and knit socks or gloves, or new sweaters out of them.

I'll have to look into the phone and talk to my mom. And no, we will not be doing that again.  It seemed like a good idea at the time,and she needed the help, but I'll never do that again.  I was looking at the option of prepaid phones if dh really wants to keep cell.  I can see him wanting one where is usually out of town for work, but me.. I don't see the point you know?  

I cook everything I can from scratch and plan on canning this summer vrs freezing.. I dislike canned veggies, but for the amount I would like to save up we would have to get two freezers, and then the electricity for two as well, so it just makes better sense to can. I have been refashioning clothing from the thrift store... really with my dd, thats what I have to do.. she is so skinny and tall, its impossible to find clothes for her, even those elastic waist pants I have to sinch up all the way then they are just uncomftorble and look.. well.. just bad.  I need to do the unravaling sweater idea, I crochet.. I want to learn to knit but I look at patterns and it might as well be in a different language.. I don't use patterns to chrocet, I can just look at what I want to do, and do it.. but knitting... i don't think it will work that way.. I need to find someone who can sit down and help me understand how to read patterns.  I"m not worried about food though, because we do keep costs low, right now we have a budget of $400 and I do good with that, I am hopeing that with the rise in food costs that if we extend our garden we can help ofset the cost.  We don't do red meat, mostly turkey which right now is usually cheaper then chicken, red meat is really expensive here.  I buy on sell foods and freeze them if I don't intend to use them right away.  I also think i'm going to go around and see about picking apples and plums from peoples trees here in town to make sauces and jams... so many apple trees, and usually I see tons of apples fallen on the ground.. seems like such a waste.  

WE don't have cable, but dh does have his xbox live and netflix... which is nice.... but.. its such an unecessary distraction.. kwim?

I need to learn to make my own season mixes.. do you have recipies?  I use a lot of chili power, and we do use ranch. I also wouldn't mind a good pizza sauce recipie... We make our own pizza, but I haven't found a sauce recipie I like...

daughteroftruth
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I don't think I could cut the land line.  We live in an area that can get frequent power outages, so having a land line (yes, an old corded phone) ensures that I can get in contact with someone in an emergency, our cell towers can be unreliable.  

Do you like the prepaid phone?  I really only use the phone for the school to contact me in case of emergancies and to text.  

Quoting ballerina18:

We have a budget and we try really hard to stick to it. We have decided, however, that everyone in the family is going to start getting an allowance. So, SO will have an allowance of a certain amount of money he can spend a month and I will get the same amount. We are both bad about going out to get coffee or going on a shopping trip. Sometimes I can get careless with money so I'm working on stopping that!

We are an environmentally friendly family so we watch our electric usage (make sure to turn off lights when we don't need them) and I make my own household cleaners (vinegar and water or baking soda and water). I also use rags instead of paper towels or napkins. We live in a small town so we don't need to drive too far to get to work. This summer we plan to get bikes.

For cell phones, my SO has a nice smart phone, but I don't really need a fancy phone so I have one of those pre-paid cheap phones. We don't have a land line.

I meal plan for the week which REALLY helps to save money. We also pack sack lunches during the week so we're not eating out.

Thanks all I can think of. When it comes to saving money I try to think of something that I really want that is expensive (vacation..ect..) and I work to save for that.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:08 AM

We got a free phone years ago from at&t that has no date or internet on it and we disabled the texting.  We will continue to pay down our bills and watch what we buy at the store.

ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Honestly, I'm not a phone person so the pre-paid phone works fine for me. I prefer to email or facebook with friends and family. My friends and important contacts all know my SO's phone number so we use his phone as our main phone. I just mainly have the prepaid phone to get in touch with SO and for various calls during the day. I really hardly use the pre-paid phone which makes it nice since we don't need to buy minutes very often.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

I don't think I could cut the land line.  We live in an area that can get frequent power outages, so having a land line (yes, an old corded phone) ensures that I can get in contact with someone in an emergency, our cell towers can be unreliable.  

Do you like the prepaid phone?  I really only use the phone for the school to contact me in case of emergancies and to text.  

Quoting ballerina18:

We have a budget and we try really hard to stick to it. We have decided, however, that everyone in the family is going to start getting an allowance. So, SO will have an allowance of a certain amount of money he can spend a month and I will get the same amount. We are both bad about going out to get coffee or going on a shopping trip. Sometimes I can get careless with money so I'm working on stopping that!

We are an environmentally friendly family so we watch our electric usage (make sure to turn off lights when we don't need them) and I make my own household cleaners (vinegar and water or baking soda and water). I also use rags instead of paper towels or napkins. We live in a small town so we don't need to drive too far to get to work. This summer we plan to get bikes.

For cell phones, my SO has a nice smart phone, but I don't really need a fancy phone so I have one of those pre-paid cheap phones. We don't have a land line.

I meal plan for the week which REALLY helps to save money. We also pack sack lunches during the week so we're not eating out.

Thanks all I can think of. When it comes to saving money I try to think of something that I really want that is expensive (vacation..ect..) and I work to save for that.

MessedUpMama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Quoting daughteroftruth:
I'll have to look into the phone and talk to my mom. And no, we will not be doing that again.  It seemed like a good idea at the time,and she needed the help, but I'll never do that again.  I was looking at the option of prepaid phones if dh really wants to keep cell.  I can see him wanting one where is usually out of town for work, but me.. I don't see the point you know?  

I cook everything I can from scratch and plan on canning this summer vrs freezing.. I dislike canned veggies, but for the amount I would like to save up we would have to get two freezers, and then the electricity for two as well, so it just makes better sense to can. I have been refashioning clothing from the thrift store... really with my dd, thats what I have to do.. she is so skinny and tall, its impossible to find clothes for her, even those elastic waist pants I have to sinch up all the way then they are just uncomftorble and look.. well.. just bad.  I need to do the unravaling sweater idea, I crochet.. I want to learn to knit but I look at patterns and it might as well be in a different language.. I don't use patterns to chrocet, I can just look at what I want to do, and do it.. but knitting... i don't think it will work that way.. I need to find someone who can sit down and help me understand how to read patterns.  I"m not worried about food though, because we do keep costs low, right now we have a budget of $400 and I do good with that, I am hopeing that with the rise in food costs that if we extend our garden we can help ofset the cost.  We don't do red meat, mostly turkey which right now is usually cheaper then chicken, red meat is really expensive here.  I buy on sell foods and freeze them if I don't intend to use them right away.  I also think i'm going to go around and see about picking apples and plums from peoples trees here in town to make sauces and jams... so many apple trees, and usually I see tons of apples fallen on the ground.. seems like such a waste.  

WE don't have cable, but dh does have his xbox live and netflix... which is nice.... but.. its such an unecessary distraction.. kwim?

I need to learn to make my own season mixes.. do you have recipies?  I use a lot of chili power, and we do use ranch. I also wouldn't mind a good pizza sauce recipie... We make our own pizza, but I haven't found a sauce recipie I like...

The only phone I have is my cell phone. We have a good deal on ours though so it's fine. My phone, Internet and cable are my only indulgences. I could do without them if they got too expensive or if I needed to for some reason, but since I don't have to right now I'll keep them. We don't have a car so there are no expenses related to that at this time.

Home canned vegies taste different than commercially canned vegies do, much better in my opinion. And it can't hurt to ask people around town with fruit trees if you could pick some. Maybe you could pick as much as possible and give them half, or donate half to a food bank in the name of the owner of the tree? There is a group in my town, connected to our local food bank, that harvests left over fruit and vegetables from farms, orchards and yards, people who go to a "harvest party" donate half of what they pick to the food bank. It gives lots of people access to fresh fruit and vegetables that might not otherwise have them.

I've found all the recipes I have on line. We use fajita mix a lot, so I've found one that doesn't have a lot of salt and sugar in it. I've never looked for a recipe for ranch, and chili powder is just ground up dried chili peppers. Unless you live somewhere that grows chili peppers it's probably cheaper to just buy a jar of it at the store. Do you have a Costco card? Or a store with a fairly large bulk goods area? You can save on spices there. Do a search for "Homemade ranch seasoning" and see what comes up. If you can make it yourself it will be cheaper than the store bought stuff and better tasting as well. As for pizza sauce, I've used a cooked down spaghetti sauce for pizza sauce before. You have to play with the seasonings when you make spaghetti or pizza sauce from scratch until you find exactly the taste you want. Don't forget to keep track so you can make it again. (I did that with spaghetti sauce once, forgot to keep track and I've never been able to reproduce it again. LOL)

Good luck. =)

AjCeCeMom
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:36 AM
There's a chance we won't be able to put as much into savings and reduce the money I just blow on random shopping trips and happy hour, other than that I'm hoping it won't affect me too much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daughteroftruth
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Quoting MessedUpMama:

The only phone I have is my cell phone. We have a good deal on ours though so it's fine. My phone, Internet and cable are my only indulgences. I could do without them if they got too expensive or if I needed to for some reason, but since I don't have to right now I'll keep them. We don't have a car so there are no expenses related to that at this time.

Home canned vegies taste different than commercially canned vegies do, much better in my opinion. And it can't hurt to ask people around town with fruit trees if you could pick some. Maybe you could pick as much as possible and give them half, or donate half to a food bank in the name of the owner of the tree? There is a group in my town, connected to our local food bank, that harvests left over fruit and vegetables from farms, orchards and yards, people who go to a "harvest party" donate half of what they pick to the food bank. It gives lots of people access to fresh fruit and vegetables that might not otherwise have them.

I've found all the recipes I have on line. We use fajita mix a lot, so I've found one that doesn't have a lot of salt and sugar in it. I've never looked for a recipe for ranch, and chili powder is just ground up dried chili peppers. Unless you live somewhere that grows chili peppers it's probably cheaper to just buy a jar of it at the store. Do you have a Costco card? Or a store with a fairly large bulk goods area? You can save on spices there. Do a search for "Homemade ranch seasoning" and see what comes up. If you can make it yourself it will be cheaper than the store bought stuff and better tasting as well. As for pizza sauce, I've used a cooked down spaghetti sauce for pizza sauce before. You have to play with the seasonings when you make spaghetti or pizza sauce from scratch until you find exactly the taste you want. Don't forget to keep track so you can make it again. (I did that with spaghetti sauce once, forgot to keep track and I've never been able to reproduce it again. LOL)

Good luck. =)

I love the "harvest party" idea.. that would be such a blessing for many in our community.  

I don't have a costco card.. don't think we have one anywhere close, but we do have a winco.. and thats normally where I shop.  They sell bulk, but you bag your own, and they only accept debit or cash.. so food is really cheap there.  Last month I scored a 50lbs bag of unbleached flour for $15.. I'm able to get baking supplies for MUCH cheaper then anyplace else around.  Sugar is like 33cents per pound.  Course you have to bag your own supplies, but not a huge deal since I just come and dump them into bins here at home.  

I'll have to search on line for homemade spices mix.  The chili powder I use (grandma's is the brand) has stuff like cumin, garlic,onion powder.. ect.. I love that mix because I use it for so much, taco soups, chili, enchilada sauce... I need to find a mix similar to it.. I really like the portions that brand uses.  I'm also going to collect some herbs (and grow some), and dry them this summer.. WE have so much sage everywhere, it just seems silly to go out and buy it. And basil is easy to grow, so I should grow more of that since its the herb I use the most.  I was going to grow garlic this fall, but didn't get the bulbs in the ground before the first frost =/  So I'll have to do better next fall.

And I am very bad about keeping track of recipes.  I throw something together that everyone likes and then can never reproduce it.  I hate following recipies, I love to just improvise... but then I make something I love and can never duplicate it again.  

zeesmuse
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I have Virgin's Paylo. 40.00 a month for unlimited calls and texting. The phones are crap - I have one I paid 19.99 for in March and I've got sticking buttons... you know, like the SEND button. I have to beat it to death, so I'll be replacing it when I get my tax return. You can change the phones out at will - although there is a 10.00 charge to do that now. oh well.  I don't have a landline and I don't use the phone for internet. It's just a phone (I know, the youngers are screaming.. .BUTBUTBUT...)

I thought about taking out the internet and using internet cafes or the library - which is an option.

Cheaper food - less eating out.  buying in bulk. We rarely go to the movies and when we do, we go to matinees and sneak candy and drinks in my purse.  My AC went up 3 degrees 2 years ago and my heat is set down and has been. We dress light and we dress warm. Shopping for things is done on ebay and shopping at Goodwill doesn't embarass me. I use Freecycle a lot for things as well. garage Sales. I do the upkeep on my computer because I can't replace it anytime soon and it's a 2009 Dell.

We'll survive this. We have to.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

I want to cut the cell phones all together.  But at the same time, it is nice a nice conveniance, but we pay 140 a month for our phones, and I hate it.  If we were paying just 40 a month like were were when we first got phones, then I wouldn't care so much, but.. 140... As it is they are lines off of my moms plan and we haven't cancelled because if we do she gets hit with cancellation fees... we took over the lines from lines that she had on her contract, but the previous uses kind bailed on her. 

Other then that we do live simply, but I'm still convinced that we can cut things here and ther.. I just need to evaluate everything.  

Quoting christina0607:

No not really.

however we live quite simply as it is. We don't use cell phones, they're a waste of money. I just can't give someone that kind of money for not only a non necessity... but what I look at as a cancer in our society.

I live in a metropolitan area, so I don't use that much gas. We make sure to be energy efficient because we love our planet.

We do what we can to keep our money in our pockets as it is. I'm a big fan of seeing the money I work hard for.

tiarra7022
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:30 PM

We had spent the last three months creating a budget for the new year and then this crap came out and im in the same boat as you. Im trying to see where we can cut back more but I dont want to mess with it till i know more about what is going to go on. I really hate this hurry and up wait game. Something needs to be done so we can get on with our lives

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN