Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

It's the Parents.......

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:48 PM
  • 22 Replies

Mommy & Daddy spend an awful lot of time with their faces in their PHONES!  I wish, they'd pay more attention to their toddler!

Debb

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM

You are wondering about possible neglect affecting their growth?   It does~

How long have you been there?

Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe that's not how it is normally, it's just because your there? She just had a baby, she's probably trying to relax as much as possible. Probably thinks you're enjoying time with grand baby and she's taking advantage of having less to do.
Does that make sense?
I know after I had my second, when my mom came, I went to bed and slept! Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM
3 moms liked this

it really doesnt matter if its social media or tv.  if they arent talking to their child the child can not learn socialization. 

iansusie
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:40 PM
2 moms liked this

The problem is not social media, it is your DD and your son in law.

southernbelle07
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:42 PM
This

Quoting iansusie:

The problem is not social media, it is your DD and your son in law.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansusie
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM

They definitely could and should be doing more but lets get real here. If it wasn't their phones, it would be the TV, if it wasn't the tv, it'd be the radio, etc. They are not involved or interested parents, from your comments about your observations. It has nothing to do with Social Media and everything to do with THEM. Many people use social media but do not ignore their children, teach them manners, abcs. numbers, colors, talk to them and interact with them, even when they use their "phones" to be on social media. 

Quoting 007_deb:

Hi,
I appreciate your positive reply! I don't think that is the case unfortunately. She went back to work already! (I agree that I would be sleeping when I could too!) haha
I just don't feel they are teaching her things, an almost two year old should be learning. Simple table manners! Example, before I came, they would put her meals on her highchair tray...no utensils or plate. Now, she uses her spoon/fork with a dish that suctions to the tray, so she can't knock it on the floor.
I have a 4 yr old granddaughter also and raised 3 kids. It's just a feeling I have concluded, by my observation's. I've been here since October. Like I said, their faces are in their phones quite a bit. The 1st- 5 yrs. are the most important for learning.
I just want the best for the kids and think they should put the phones away more. I'm no mother of the year BELIEVE ME...just concerned they could be doing more if they weren't so caught up with the social media.
Thanks Again

1likeme
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
So you want to know if we have ever discussed an overstepping daughter bashing granny who is looking for someone to back her up. YUP been there done that. The children live in a safe loving environment with two loving parents. It sounds like you are looking for something to bitch about.
007_deb
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

o.k.?  I feel your missing the point entirely!

Debb

alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I have to agree with inansusie.

DH plays his xbox, I like to play facebook games/cafemom but we don't neglect our children because of it. I think that people are too quick to blame social media, video games, tv..etc instead of looking at the real problem, which in this case are parents that just don't seem to care enough to bother.

Quoting iansusie:

They definitely could and should be doing more but lets get real here. If it wasn't their phones, it would be the TV, if it wasn't the tv, it'd be the radio, etc. They are not involved or interested parents, from your comments about your observations. It has nothing to do with Social Media and everything to do with THEM. Many people use social media but do not ignore their children, teach them manners, abcs. numbers, colors, talk to them and interact with them, even when they use their "phones" to be on social media. 

Quoting 007_deb:

Hi,
I appreciate your positive reply! I don't think that is the case unfortunately. She went back to work already! (I agree that I would be sleeping when I could too!) haha
I just don't feel they are teaching her things, an almost two year old should be learning. Simple table manners! Example, before I came, they would put her meals on her highchair tray...no utensils or plate. Now, she uses her spoon/fork with a dish that suctions to the tray, so she can't knock it on the floor.
I have a 4 yr old granddaughter also and raised 3 kids. It's just a feeling I have concluded, by my observation's. I've been here since October. Like I said, their faces are in their phones quite a bit. The 1st- 5 yrs. are the most important for learning.
I just want the best for the kids and think they should put the phones away more. I'm no mother of the year BELIEVE ME...just concerned they could be doing more if they weren't so caught up with the social media.
Thanks Again

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:31 PM
3 moms liked this

I think some people definitely overuse and beome obsessed with using their phones and internet.  I am teaching my younger kids (8 and 11) about using them respectfully - time and place, etc. 

I think it's a lot like tv used to be - people would turn on and tune out - now they log on and tune out.

Some people are very rude about how often they check on their phone for new messages, texts, etc when in public. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)