Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Attorney suing the state for 100M for survivor of school shooting. Really???

Posted by   + Show Post

The attorney is seeking permission for a $100 million lawsuit on behalf of a student who survived the Newtown, Conn., school shooting.

NEW HAVEN, Conn. — A New Haven attorney is asking permission to sue the state for $100 million on behalf of a student who survived the mass shooting at a Newtown, Conn., school.

The Hartford Courant reports that attorney Irving Pinsky filed notice Thursday with Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr. The state has immunity against most lawsuits unless permission to sue is granted.

Pinsky said the 6-year-old student, identified as "Jill Doe," was in her classroom Dec. 14 at Sandy Hook Elementary School when "the horrific confrontation" with Adam Lanza came over the loudspeaker.

Lanza killed 20 first grade students and six adult staffers at the school before killing himself.

Pinsky said the student has been traumatized by the killings and accused the state of failing to protect students from "foreseeable harm."

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Quoting MissTacoBell:

You can't foresee a psychopath barreling into a school and gunning down kids.

Virginia tech couldn't and they, like sac state where I go to school, had armed guards.

What resolution do you propose? Or are you like so many who shout from the rooftops that there's something wrong but refuse to offer a viable solution.

It's like people claiming everyone laying down their guns will stop all war and prompt a world-wide verse of cume-bay-yah. You have to lay out the means for the change to occur. Don't just shout there's a problem.

How is making a school district and or state broker supposed to fix anything?

It IS about money.

Quoting teri4lance:

These lawsuits - they aren't for money. They are for change. This is how the average citizen makes things change. This is what our judicial system is for. They have to pick an amount to sue for. This amount guarantees that they will garner the attention that this issue deserves. Gun free zones DON'T protect anyone. They simply disarm people against attack. If they are going to force people to be defenseless, then it IS their responsibility to keep them safe. TheyAre Failing. They are failing ALL OVER AMERICA. You guys - you shouldn't be mad at these people for trying to make a change - you should be wondering how your kid's schools are going to protect your children, and you should be scared as hell when you realize THEY CAN'T. 

I do think armed guards would help. In this particular case, an armed guard in the front office would have prevented this from happening. There are implications that the schools failed to adequately prepare staff for emergency procedures. There are plenty of ways to protect people. I can tell you that totally unprotected buildings full of totally unprotected people is NOT the answer, and doing nothing will accomplish the same - nothing. These lawsuits bring people to the table to figure out what works there, This is how you make change happen - at the local and state level. It will not happen in Congress -if the last 12 years haven't proven that - you aren't paying attention. Dismissing lawsuits as only being about money makes it that much more difficult for people to affect change using the judicial system. they are automatically stigmatized. 

If there had been people carrying at VA Tech, who knows how it may have ended. We won't ever know, so long as people continue to be forced to be defenseless. 

Without ME there would be no awesome!

Allisonc7910
by Allison on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I think its more than money too, the parents are pissed no one was able to protect those kids, the ones that died as well.  Even the president said it, we aren't doing enough to protect our children.  It could have easily been their child too.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok, say that every school in the nation gets an armed guard. Bullet proof best, glock, cuffs, the whole shebang. Guy walks up to him shoots him in the head. He proceeds to his goal of killing. Btw, the false sense of security that guard gives the staff will mean even MORE lax security at the doors regardless of best practices.

What then? Do the survivors sue for the guard not being properly qualified? For not being provided bulletproof headgear?

Just like this situation, it's not possible to identify all dangers.

The only person at fault is the bastard shooter, let's not forget that by throwing blame where convenient.

Quoting teri4lance:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Virginia tech couldn't and they, like sac state where I go to school, had armed guards.

What resolution do you propose? Or are you like so many who shout from the rooftops that there's something wrong but refuse to offer a viable solution.

It's like people claiming everyone laying down their guns will stop all war and prompt a world-wide verse of cume-bay-yah. You have to lay out the means for the change to occur. Don't just shout there's a problem.

It IS about money.

Quoting teri4lance:

These lawsuits - they aren't for money. They are for change. This is how the average citizen makes things change. This is what our judicial system is for. They have to pick an amount to sue for. This amount guarantees that they will garner the attention that this issue deserves. Gun free zones DON'T protect anyone. They simply disarm people against attack. If they are going to force people to be defenseless, then it IS their responsibility to keep them safe. TheyAre Failing. They are failing ALL OVER AMERICA. You guys - you shouldn't be mad at these people for trying to make a change - you should be wondering how your kid's schools are going to protect your children, and you should be scared as hell when you realize THEY CAN'T. 

I do think armed guards would help. In this particular case, an armed guard in the front office would have prevented this from happening. There are implications that the schools failed to adequately prepare staff for emergency procedures. There are plenty of ways to protect people. I can tell you that totally unprotected buildings full of totally unprotected people is NOT the answer, and doing nothing will accomplish the same - nothing. These lawsuits bring people to the table to figure out what works there, This is how you make change happen - at the local and state level. It will not happen in Congress -if the last 12 years haven't proven that - you aren't paying attention. Dismissing lawsuits as only being about money makes it that much more difficult for people to affect change using the judicial system. they are automatically stigmatized. 

If there had been people carrying at VA Tech, who knows how it may have ended. We won't ever know, so long as people continue to be forced to be defenseless. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenzachsam
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:24 PM

100 million is insane!  That is way too much money!  100 million GTFO!  That amount, it IS all about money...  Greed at its finest!

iansusie
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM

So suing for $100M will accomplish exactly what? The schools already are short on money to give kids a GREAT education, now take that $100M and they will have ZERO money to educate the rest of the children, much less implement any changes to protect anyone!

No, it was not a forseeable event. It is a VERY sad and tragic but RANDOM event. If they want change they can demand change but demanding such an amount of money for a child that was not even IN the classroom were everyone was shot is based on GREED. The see an opportunity to hit it big. I don't see the parents of the dead children suing, they have more reason than anyone else since their children were the ones who were not protected!

Quoting Allisonc7910:

I think its more than money too, the parents are pissed no one was able to protect those kids, the ones that died as well.  Even the president said it, we aren't doing enough to protect our children.  It could have easily been their child too.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Ok, say that every school in the nation gets an armed guard. Bullet proof best, glock, cuffs, the whole shebang. Guy walks up to him shoots him in the head. He proceeds to his goal of killing. Btw, the false sense of security that guard gives the staff will mean even MORE lax security at the doors regardless of best practices.

What then? Do the survivors sue for the guard not being properly qualified? For not being provided bulletproof headgear?

The only person at fault is the bastard shooter, let's not forget that by throwing blame where convenient.

Quoting teri4lance:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

It IS about money.

Quoting teri4lance:

yes, you are right, we should definitely not do anything differently. It's all working so well now. Why didn't I realize not changing anything was the right answer?!?! silly me. 

For someone so down on poo=pooers with no soutions, you sure don't seem to have any yourself. Let's just get angry and insult  the ones who are trying to do something about it - that will DEFINITELY fix the problem. 

*insert eye rolls here* you should really tone down your anger - like a lot- it's that sort of hostility that fuels the rage that is driving people to these types of extreme behavior. everyone's got to be so angry and so righteous and damning of anyone else with any different opinion. shit people take it down a notch already and you are graciously invited to crawl directly out of my ass any time now. go direct your anger at someone else for a while. 

Without ME there would be no awesome!

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:52 PM

100 Million screams "I AM TRYING TO PROFIT OFF OF TRAGEDY!" They should be ashamed.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM
...I was calling the guy who shot 20 children dead a bastard. If that makes me a bad person then I stand guilty as charged.

Quoting teri4lance:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Quoting teri4lance:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

It IS about money.

Quoting teri4lance:

yes, you are right, we should definitely not do anything differently. It's all working so well now. Why didn't I realize not changing anything was the right answer?!?! silly me. 

For someone so down on poo=pooers with no soutions, you sure don't seem to have any yourself. Let's just get angry and insult  the ones who are trying to do something about it - that will DEFINITELY fix the problem. 

*insert eye rolls here* you should really tone down your anger - like a lot- it's that sort of hostility that fuels the rage that is driving people to these types of extreme behavior. everyone's got to be so angry and so righteous and damning of anyone else with any different opinion. shit people take it down a notch already and you are graciously invited to crawl directly out of my ass any time now. go direct your anger at someone else for a while. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PestPatti
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:18 AM

For all of you calling names, have any of you gone through something as horrific ?  I don't think there is a person on this website who has. 

I don't know what I would do, and selfishly I am happy that I never have.

Our family has brought a wrongful death suit, the LAWYER fixed the amount.  We didn't.  

PestPatti
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:21 AM

It was kind of inevitable,  everyone just didn't want to believe it would happen.  

Quoting iansusie:

So suing for $100M will accomplish exactly what? The schools already are short on money to give kids a GREAT education, now take that $100M and they will have ZERO money to educate the rest of the children, much less implement any changes to protect anyone!

No, it was not a forseeable event. It is a VERY sad and tragic but RANDOM event. If they want change they can demand change but demanding such an amount of money for a child that was not even IN the classroom were everyone was shot is based on GREED. The see an opportunity to hit it big. I don't see the parents of the dead children suing, they have more reason than anyone else since their children were the ones who were not protected!

Quoting Allisonc7910:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN