Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Attorney suing the state for 100M for survivor of school shooting. Really???

Posted by   + Show Post

The attorney is seeking permission for a $100 million lawsuit on behalf of a student who survived the Newtown, Conn., school shooting.

NEW HAVEN, Conn. — A New Haven attorney is asking permission to sue the state for $100 million on behalf of a student who survived the mass shooting at a Newtown, Conn., school.

The Hartford Courant reports that attorney Irving Pinsky filed notice Thursday with Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr. The state has immunity against most lawsuits unless permission to sue is granted.

Pinsky said the 6-year-old student, identified as "Jill Doe," was in her classroom Dec. 14 at Sandy Hook Elementary School when "the horrific confrontation" with Adam Lanza came over the loudspeaker.

Lanza killed 20 first grade students and six adult staffers at the school before killing himself.

Pinsky said the student has been traumatized by the killings and accused the state of failing to protect students from "foreseeable harm."

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Replies (21-26):
NDADanceMom
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:00 AM

columbine had armed guards.   Can I ask what your response will be when a guard snaps and kills the students?  Another gaurd to guard the guard?  

Quoting teri4lance:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

You can't foresee a psychopath barreling into a school and gunning down kids.

Virginia tech couldn't and they, like sac state where I go to school, had armed guards.

What resolution do you propose? Or are you like so many who shout from the rooftops that there's something wrong but refuse to offer a viable solution.

It's like people claiming everyone laying down their guns will stop all war and prompt a world-wide verse of cume-bay-yah. You have to lay out the means for the change to occur. Don't just shout there's a problem.

How is making a school district and or state broker supposed to fix anything?

It IS about money.

Quoting teri4lance:

These lawsuits - they aren't for money. They are for change. This is how the average citizen makes things change. This is what our judicial system is for. They have to pick an amount to sue for. This amount guarantees that they will garner the attention that this issue deserves. Gun free zones DON'T protect anyone. They simply disarm people against attack. If they are going to force people to be defenseless, then it IS their responsibility to keep them safe. TheyAre Failing. They are failing ALL OVER AMERICA. You guys - you shouldn't be mad at these people for trying to make a change - you should be wondering how your kid's schools are going to protect your children, and you should be scared as hell when you realize THEY CAN'T. 

I do think armed guards would help. In this particular case, an armed guard in the front office would have prevented this from happening. There are implications that the schools failed to adequately prepare staff for emergency procedures. There are plenty of ways to protect people. I can tell you that totally unprotected buildings full of totally unprotected people is NOT the answer, and doing nothing will accomplish the same - nothing. These lawsuits bring people to the table to figure out what works there, This is how you make change happen - at the local and state level. It will not happen in Congress -if the last 12 years haven't proven that - you aren't paying attention. Dismissing lawsuits as only being about money makes it that much more difficult for people to affect change using the judicial system. they are automatically stigmatized. 

If there had been people carrying at VA Tech, who knows how it may have ended. We won't ever know, so long as people continue to be forced to be defenseless. 

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:14 AM
I don't disagree but using your argument, you would have to arm every building...Gabrielle Giffords was shot in front of a supermarket, should they have armed guards? Should armed guards be posted outside of movie theters too?

We need to keep guns out of the hands of crazy people, not have armed guards everywhere and live in a police state. I don't know what the answer is but I don't think this lawsuit is it. I would have loved to see the NRA work with the gov't and come up with a solution but they chose the coward's way out. I think they are a great organization to lead the effort.
Quoting teri4lance:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Virginia tech couldn't and they, like sac state where I go to school, had armed guards.

What resolution do you propose? Or are you like so many who shout from the rooftops that there's something wrong but refuse to offer a viable solution.

It's like people claiming everyone laying down their guns will stop all war and prompt a world-wide verse of cume-bay-yah. You have to lay out the means for the change to occur. Don't just shout there's a problem.

It IS about money.

Quoting teri4lance:

These lawsuits - they aren't for money. They are for change. This is how the average citizen makes things change. This is what our judicial system is for. They have to pick an amount to sue for. This amount guarantees that they will garner the attention that this issue deserves. Gun free zones DON'T protect anyone. They simply disarm people against attack. If they are going to force people to be defenseless, then it IS their responsibility to keep them safe. TheyAre Failing. They are failing ALL OVER AMERICA. You guys - you shouldn't be mad at these people for trying to make a change - you should be wondering how your kid's schools are going to protect your children, and you should be scared as hell when you realize THEY CAN'T. 

I do think armed guards would help. In this particular case, an armed guard in the front office would have prevented this from happening. There are implications that the schools failed to adequately prepare staff for emergency procedures. There are plenty of ways to protect people. I can tell you that totally unprotected buildings full of totally unprotected people is NOT the answer, and doing nothing will accomplish the same - nothing. These lawsuits bring people to the table to figure out what works there, This is how you make change happen - at the local and state level. It will not happen in Congress -if the last 12 years haven't proven that - you aren't paying attention. Dismissing lawsuits as only being about money makes it that much more difficult for people to affect change using the judicial system. they are automatically stigmatized. 

If there had been people carrying at VA Tech, who knows how it may have ended. We won't ever know, so long as people continue to be forced to be defenseless. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reche1978
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:18 AM

wow, no matter what happens in this world you can always count on someone sueing

angevil53
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:19 AM
The state didn't cause this. They need to sue adam lanza. Oh wait you can't.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Shopping centers by nature aren't gun free zones. As a CHL holder, I am free to carry my gun at most places. I at least have a chance to defend myself or my family. In instituted gun-free zones, I don't. Therein lies the issue. If the state is going to disarm us forcibly, then it becomes their responsibility to proactively (not reactively) protect us from attack.
Will it stop all attacks? No, nothing will all by itself. But it adds a layer of protection and a deterrent and in this world, that all we've got. We don't give up on seatbelts and carseats just because they don't save every life do we? But lordy be if one of us spots a kid out if one its like their mom is pointing a bazooka at them.
This isn't the only answer, but it is part of the problem and, along with the accusation of lacking emergency procedures, it is grounds for a legitimate lawsuit.
Folks don't get hung up on a number. It's an amount chosen specifically to force the state to the table for some real change. No one with any real experience actually thinks this is the amount they'd be rewarded or even expect.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I don't disagree but using your argument, you would have to arm every building...Gabrielle Giffords was shot in front of a supermarket, should they have armed guards? Should armed guards be posted outside of movie theters too?

We need to keep guns out of the hands of crazy people, not have armed guards everywhere and live in a police state. I don't know what the answer is but I don't think this lawsuit is it. I would have loved to see the NRA work with the gov't and come up with a solution but they chose the coward's way out. I think they are a great organization to lead the effort.
Quoting teri4lance:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

It IS about money.

Quoting teri4lance:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansusie
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Didn't Adam Lanza get the guns from his mother who legally owned them? I am sorry but they should not expect any money at all... Just help (FREE) therapy for their child. Schools are a gun free place to prevent a child from coming to school with a gun or a parent to go balistics and kill a teacher and children because of some incident with their child. It is to prevent violence. I do not want an armed guard outside my children's school. That would not be the solution. Emergency plans? What the hell were they suppose to do? I don't hear of random people popping up into schools and shooting children. What procedure do you suggest? The teachers did their best. One was able to protect ALL her students dispite losing her own life. 

Quoting teri4lance:

Shopping centers by nature aren't gun free zones. As a CHL holder, I am free to carry my gun at most places. I at least have a chance to defend myself or my family. In instituted gun-free zones, I don't. Therein lies the issue. If the state is going to disarm us forcibly, then it becomes their responsibility to proactively (not reactively) protect us from attack.
Will it stop all attacks? No, nothing will all by itself. But it adds a layer of protection and a deterrent and in this world, that all we've got. We don't give up on seatbelts and carseats just because they don't save every life do we? But lordy be if one of us spots a kid out if one its like their mom is pointing a bazooka at them.
This isn't the only answer, but it is part of the problem and, along with the accusation of lacking emergency procedures, it is grounds for a legitimate lawsuit.
Folks don't get hung up on a number. It's an amount chosen specifically to force the state to the table for some real change. No one with any real experience actually thinks this is the amount they'd be rewarded or even expect.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Quoting teri4lance:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

It IS about money.

Quoting teri4lance:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)