Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How to discipline a spirited child?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have 3 kids, all rather young and each one very different from the other. My oldest is 5, he was such a laid back baby, never got into anything didn't have to childproof, my DD is 3, she was getting into things but you could quickly get her to back off and leave it alone,  but my youngest is 20months and stubborn as can be. DD is stubborn but youngest DS is quite the spit fire. I've tried redirecting, the slap on the hand, time out,  positive reinforcement so forth and nothing stops him from creating destruction.

He's smart boy is he smart, he figured out how to move things including chairs to climb to the things he wants, he rips up paper, he figured out doorknobs, luckily he can't reach the locks yet on the exterior doors. He is a rough and tumble kind of kid nothing seems to phase him. He jumps off things and belly flops on the floor gets up laughing and does it again, so I'm thinking I need more creative ideas to get him to stop.  

I'm at my wits end. I know he's just a baby still but I also know that its possible to teach kiddo's his age what is definitely not okay to be doing. HELP PLEASE!

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:06 AM

BUMP!

nebcutie
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM
My only thought was you must need an energy booster to keep up with him! Lol no ideas but bump. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM

HAHA you don't know the 1/2 of it, I'm so exhausted these days, but I can't seem to get to sleep early because of working 2nd shift.

Quoting nebcutie:

My only thought was you must need an energy booster to keep up with him! Lol no ideas but bump. :)

NDADanceMom
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM

here is a novel idea.  Sit down and show him what you want him to do and quit chasing him around slapping his hand as he is trying to find something to do.  

o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Well gee thanks for that, I must not have tried showing him how to play nice ever. And the hand slapping is in reference to try to keep him from touching objects that can hurt him. Such as the hot stove.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

here is a novel idea.  Sit down and show him what you want him to do and quit chasing him around slapping his hand as he is trying to find something to do.  

NDADanceMom
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

so you keep a "spirited child" near the hot stove as you are cooking?  nice.

I suggest  you read the care and feeding of the indigo child if you think your child is really doing his own thing no matter what you do. 

Quoting o0gone0o:

Well gee thanks for that, I must not have tried showing him how to play nice ever. And the hand slapping is in reference to try to keep him from touching objects that can hurt him. Such as the hot stove.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

connietrrll
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I had 3 very different children also. My daughter was my very high spirited child. I found that being creative worked best. This is going to sound strange but be creative and consistant!

Here is an example. I found that if my daughter was screaming *she would scream for no reason* I would make her take a time-out no matter where we were! Like if she was screaming in the store, I would not talk to her for 2 minutes. (if she was 2 years old) That was torture for her. I would not suggest doing things for long periods of time, because he is so young. It will seem like he remembers, but 1.5 year olds don't usually remember very long. You have to be consistent though and the same behavior has to get the same sort of punishment no matter where you are! It works, I promise.

o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I'll definitely try it, can't hurt. With the older 2 we have a stop light board at home, they move there clips from green(good) to yellow(slow down and think) to red(timeout or other punishment) Its workings really well for them but i'm afraid jonah just wouldn't get that concept yet which is why I was seeking out other ideas.

Quoting connietrrll:

I had 3 very different children also. My daughter was my very high spirited child. I found that being creative worked best. This is going to sound strange but be creative and consistant!

Here is an example. I found that if my daughter was screaming *she would scream for no reason* I would make her take a time-out no matter where we were! Like if she was screaming in the store, I would not talk to her for 2 minutes. (if she was 2 years old) That was torture for her. I would not suggest doing things for long periods of time, because he is so young. It will seem like he remembers, but 1.5 year olds don't usually remember very long. You have to be consistent though and the same behavior has to get the same sort of punishment no matter where you are! It works, I promise.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Pick one discipline and stick with it.  I like time outs for this age since for 20 months old it is only 2 minutes long.   Are you able to get out of house for him to constructively use this energy?  Maybe put together an obstacle course for all the children and time them for a winner.

o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Have you tried taking more than 1 kid to the bathroom at a time? Its not as easy as one might think so yes I need him to know the stove is hot and not to touch so that if his sister has to go and she's having one of those its dark and scarey up there moments I can get her there in time and know he isn't going to burn himself in the minute i'm gone.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

so you keep a "spirited child" near the hot stove as you are cooking?  nice.

I suggest  you read the care and feeding of the indigo child if you think your child is really doing his own thing no matter what you do. 

Quoting o0gone0o:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)