Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Finish School or put it on hold until my baby can talk

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM
  • 24 Replies
Hello,

My name is Nikkole and i am 25 years old with a 4 month old and i am a SAHM . I am debating if I should go back to school in March and finish up my Masters or stay at home with my little one until he gets old enough to talk. I really want to go back to school but I will not have the time to do the work that comes along with a Masters program. My husband works 12 hour shifts and he won't be any help. I do not have any family in the area to watch my son nor do I know anyone in the area. Should I continue to stay at home or pursue my Masters ?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColieO
by I Rock on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
If you continue to pursue it, who's going to help? Trust me, it's much easier to get things done when they're not talking and walking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cklamour
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:18 AM
Can you try taking some online classes?
loveablej
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Can you put him in daycare a few hours so you can finish? I have been in this feild for many years. I have had parents who would bring there child in for half a day so they could go to school and get homework done. He will learn things also. We had circle time and arts and crafts. I loved every child I took care of and still talk to some of them. If you find the right place I'm sure you both will be happy.
Osalter
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:26 AM
I don't have any help. It's just me and my husband. My husband work 4 days on and 4 days off.
judybant
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:28 AM
2 moms liked this

my niece just finished her masters in accounting while working full time from home, and raising 3 kids. She did it on line from the state university where she lives. She had to travel to the campus 2 or 3 times per semester to give speeches, etc, and have face-time with the professors, but she took care of it all. Her husband is in the army, and was deployed a good amount of time in the last 5 years, so she was pretty much on her own most of the time. She graduated with a 3.995 GPA. If you want it badly enough, anything is possible. 

Osalter
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:31 AM
Most of my classes are on the weekends and if they are during the week the classes are held in the evening . So daycare is not an option. My husband do not want to use a Nanny service because he do not want strangers in the house and I agree with him.
Maddoxs_Mommy12
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I would put it on hold. The only reason I say that is because if you put your child in daycare and he can't talk, what if something bad happened to him or the teachers mistreat him? I don't know if it is just me, but just the way America is today, anything can happen. My son will be 5 months old in January and if my mom couldn't help me watch him I wouldn't be going to college anytime soon.

Osalter
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:34 AM
I've already started at a school and most of it is online. I would just need someone to watch him on those days that I have to go into the classroom
Osalter
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:36 AM
I feel the same way about day are as you do. I wish I had a family member or someone I know to watch my son while I finished school
ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I think it depends on the program, class schedule (online or not), and how well you handle stress and college.

I finally finished two bachelors degrees this past 2011 and it was not easy with a toddler and no family around to help. The older my dd got the harder it was to get through my classes. Now I am applying to grad school, but this time my classes will be online and my dd will be in school.

I think it is do-able, but it definitely will take it's toll on your lifestyle, family, and child.

Good luck whatever you decide to do! =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)