Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Poll

Question: Is there a free ride home in your town during the holidays?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 170

View Results

For about 20 years now, one of the local attorneys in town, pays for cab rides to people who've had too much to drink.

They do it from Dec 1 through till about 1am on new years day.

now there are 3 attorneys in town that offer the service

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
makelineerror
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:49 AM
They don't have it here, but they have it in Knoxville where I grew up. It's done by AAA.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:51 AM

ours is a local accident attorney, they run the ad on the radio(i know i'm old-fashioned) every year the whole month it seems like

i think there are 2 attys now

Quoting makelineerror:

They don't have it here, but they have it in Knoxville where I grew up. It's done by AAA.

KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:51 AM
When hubby was in the Air Force he had a card that got us free can rides it was great. I grew up mostly near Washington, D.C. And yellow cab does free rides on New Years. It's a great idea wish ppl would use it more
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Not really a free ride but I guess it is in a way. Out here in Okinawa they have what they call Daiko service. Every service member has a Daiko card that says where they reside and go their superior officer is. If they get too drunk they can call the service and the superior officer will pay for it. They also have a buddy system in place so that if they get drunk their buddy can be held liable for letting them get too drunk. Sadly its all for nothing right now because there have been too many incidents... We all have a curfew and can't go off base to drink at all.
spastic_poodle
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Yes... but I'm also in Nebraska (Omaha area.) Have you ever actually used the service? I'd like to try but always feel like there must be a catch or something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:54 AM
I think our city has a shuttle sometimes and a lot of popular clubs and restaurants have a shuttle too. We live in a fairly large city though.
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:00 AM

my brother tried last year on new year's eve but they said it was too late, about 2am

he just spent the night

Quoting spastic_poodle:

Yes... but I'm also in Nebraska (Omaha area.) Have you ever actually used the service? I'd like to try but always feel like there must be a catch or something.

mama_l
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Sounds like you and I live in a similar town. : )

In the area, there is a service called Sober Sam that picks you and your car up and drives you home for a reasonable price.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I live in a dry town.  There is no public sales of alcohol.  There is no house in town that cant be walked to.  There are only about 70 houses and the town is less than a square mile. 

WebCat
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM
AAA Does that too
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I think they do on certain days. I don't frequent bars tho so I don't know for sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)