Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Mother moved in w/ us...help! :(

Posted by   + Show Post
OK ladies, I *really* need some help here! Responses appreciated! This is a little lengthy, sorry :-/

So I'm 23, married, have a 2 yr old dd, and am 13 wks pregnant. I'm a SAHM and we moved over 1,000 miles away from our home state because my husbands job allowed us to live anywhere and we chose to leave!

My 46 year old Mother basically invited herself to move cross country and come live with us. I didn't really think she'd come because she never does what she says, but then she shows up here...with a u haul. Since the day she got here it has been nothing but misery for me. Snide remarks, complaining, talking badly over and over and over. I'm a push-over, I'll admit it, so I usually grit my teeth and keep my mouth shut. Sometimes I'll say something and she'll get mad and say something hurtful and/or storm off to her "room". She's here with no job and no leads on jobs, she only knows us here. I have NO idea why she came up here, have NO idea how long she's planning on living with us, and NO idea what her plan is. It's not like I can just kick her out...she has no money to her name and home is 1,000 miles away. So what can I do? I am losing my freak in mind! She's making me and my Husband agitated and unhappy. What would you do??? Here are some examples of the crap that happens:

She gets here and there's dirty dishes in the sink and the house isn't vacuumed (I was up ALL night for black Friday) so yes, the house was a little dirty, nothing abnormal for anyone. She breaks into tears screaming how "filthy" it is and says "I bet CPS would have something to say about it." Umm, no they would probably laugh in your face.

My Husband works A LOT and our dd called me "mommy" and my DH says "you should say daddy more" and my mom butts in with "why would she ever say daddy when you spend no time with her?" And then she makes comments to him such as "I'd think you'd want to spend time with your family!" Hello lady?!?!? This is the man that's basically taking care of you now.

She calls me stupid when I gave my dd whipped cream on Christmas and then threatened to throw my cheesecake in the trash. Same night I get yelled at by her that I'm a bad mother, I'm cold, and basically an idiot for not parenting exactly as she says...which by the way wasn't that great.

She has re arranged my entire kitchen because it "wasn't good enough"! I had to spend 10 min trying to find my coffee can! Also re arranged my dd's room.

Ever since she gotten here my dd screams sometimes in her room after I put her down for bed. My mom rushes in there within seconds. I have asked and even yelled at her not to do this. I then get told I'm a bad mother and she goes in anyway. I told her she only started doing this once she moved in, but she doesn't believe me. She does not respect anything about our parenting. My dd now whines, screams all the time where as just 2 months ago she rarely did this.

She has tried snatching dd out of my arms when she was upset.

When I try to comfort dd when she gets hurt I get told to hug her even though I'm already doing it. It is then "not a good enough hug" and she tells dd to come to her.

She stands behind me and supervises me constantly. She stands there when I get dd dressed, when I cook...anything. Sometimes she'll butt in *while* I'm dressing her, take the clothes and start doing it herself.

She tells dd almost every other day that "mommy and daddy don't love you."

She makes comments to dd so that I can hear them like "You shouldn't walk around without socks. The carpets filthy (Its BROWN carpet and I just freak in shampooed it.) There's probably cat shit on it!!" What the...WE DONT EVEN OWN A CAT!!!!!!!

She is always walking into DH and It's room, even when the door is shut.

She re cleans things I've already cleaned then complains that she has to clean everything.

Our lease is up in august 2013 and she has said things to me like "well maybe we can find a better house when your lease is up." WE?!?! Noooo.

I have no siblings and before she moved in with us she lived with my 70 year old grandma in her one bedroom off and on for the last like 8 years! So it's not like I can "pawn her off" on someone else. She's making us crazy. I'm afraid one day my Husband will just snap at her and afraid I'll do the same. There's no talking to this woman...she gets so offensive and pouts and makes everyone miserable. When she's not bitching or trying to take over as mom she slumps on the couch all day watching TV...I know she's not even looking for a job. I'm stressed and panicked. Ladies I need help! Please! Advice? Opinions? Similar situations/outcomes? Anything! Thank you!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Replies (21-30):
Noni2319
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:18 PM
I'm sorry. I would not let anyone who told my children mommy and daddy don't love you in the house.

It's a tough situation because she is your mother. But you have to put your daughter first and it sounds like she creates a horrible environment for your daughter to be in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krickette
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM

get the want ads and give them to her and set a time frame that she has to be out .  Tell her that you love her but that your marriage and children come first . help her look for a low rent apt or a room mate

bebe_ju-rah
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM
Oh hell no. I'd tell her she needs to find another place within 30 days.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Tell her when your lease is up your moving with out het she has to go home or get a job and a apt donr let her destroy your family be strong:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM
Umm kick her ass out!! Give her a 2 wk notice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Exactly what I was thinking.

OP, I would have kicked her ass out a LONG time ago. Tell her she has a week to get her disrespectful, emotionally abusive ass out of your house and follow through on it.

Quoting bellaamore:

The first time she told my child we didnt love her, she would be out on her ass.

Die out there for all i care.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Due9
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:20 PM

This sounds very much like my mom. Good thing she doesn't live with us. I can only be around her for short periods of time before she starts changing and getting so moody and irritable.

Aamy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Kick her out. You have EVERY right to do so. I would tell her to go get into her Uhaul and leave. No way would i put up with that crap. Good luck. 

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I'd be telling her to move out. It's not working out.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:28 PM

just tell her to leave

simple as that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN