Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Birth Control... what is your choice?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What is your method of BC?

Options:

Mirena

Implanon

Depo-Provera

The Pill... or similiar

Ortho Evra (Patch)

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 208

View Results

It's been 5 years now since I've had the Mirena. For the most part I really like it, never had any major issues. Over the past 6 months or so I've began to have a normal period again (after not having one at all) but I figured it's just because the hormones are running out. Anyhow, I'm debating on what type of birth control I want to try next. Before the Mirena I was never on anything... which is how I ended up with my amazing little girl! :) But, I'm planning on trying to conceive in about 3 years. So I'm debating between the implanon, or the patch? I've read fertility may take a while when you are on the shot, so I don't think I want that. I'm not very good at remembering to take pills everyday, so I'm scared to be on any kind of pills. Any suggestions, thoughts, personal opinions would be greatly appreciated. I've only got a couple more weeks to make this decision. Thanks yall!

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Replies (101-110):
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM

None. I won't use chemical birth control. It goes against my beliefs and not happy about some of the side effects. 

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Other...I had a tubal best bc ever!!

KellBell0820
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM
I have Paragard (the copper IUD). It's good for up to 10 years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuvsHopesDreams
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM
None right now! My hubby and I are trying for a baby! We had been using condoms, though. I had been on orals, but when I moved my new Dr wouldn't prescribe them for me (he flatly refuses to do so for smokers--but I quit today. Yea me!!!)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM

If you like the Mirena, why not just go with that for the three years? You can get it removed before the five years is up. : ) 

MrsBridges19
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I ended up with a blood clot from the patch.

Quoting aimhawk:

I personally didn't like the patch, there were always issues with it staying on as long as it was supposed to. I do however love my Implanon. I've had it almost a year and have had no side effects whatsoever and I feel more normal hormonally than I have since before I had my 5 year old!

la_bella_vita
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Other-permanent

roxysmommy
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Paragard

TJandKarasMom
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I LOVE the patch.  I have tried 4 different pills, the Mirena, and the patch. The patch is by far the best for me.  Mirena was awful for me and I had it removed after a year.  The patch is easy enough to remember, they even give you stickers to stick on your calendar.  I just change it on Sundays and go the 4th week without one.  You can pick any day of the week, it starts working after one week, if you change it a day or two late there are no issues (I am pretty fertile and have never gotten pregnant on the patch and I have definitely messed it up...I was even hoping for an accident and 'forgot' a few times lol, but nothing happened.)  I feel like it's pretty fool proof and I like it the best :)  good luck!

rockin2_manyMOM
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM
implanon is great. it lasts for 3 years...and no periods! im on my second one. love it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN