Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Birth Control... what is your choice?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What is your method of BC?

Options:

Mirena

Implanon

Depo-Provera

The Pill... or similiar

Ortho Evra (Patch)

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 208

View Results

It's been 5 years now since I've had the Mirena. For the most part I really like it, never had any major issues. Over the past 6 months or so I've began to have a normal period again (after not having one at all) but I figured it's just because the hormones are running out. Anyhow, I'm debating on what type of birth control I want to try next. Before the Mirena I was never on anything... which is how I ended up with my amazing little girl! :) But, I'm planning on trying to conceive in about 3 years. So I'm debating between the implanon, or the patch? I've read fertility may take a while when you are on the shot, so I don't think I want that. I'm not very good at remembering to take pills everyday, so I'm scared to be on any kind of pills. Any suggestions, thoughts, personal opinions would be greatly appreciated. I've only got a couple more weeks to make this decision. Thanks yall!

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Replies (111-120):
seraphimsong
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Seasonique
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Hubby got snipped. :)

mommytam
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Paraguard
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:07 AM

I really wouldn't recommend the shot, my fried was one the shot, but it messed her up really badly, that she's not een 30 yet, hasn't had a period is years, and can no longer have kids. She hasn't had the shot in over 5 years. I know that doesn't always happen, but to know someone directly who suffers from it, I stay far away.

I did the Nuva ring for a while, and that worked well. 3 weeks in, 1 week out, easy to use. Currently on the not hormone mirena.

Holztastic
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I'm on the Pill.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM
We use natural family planning. Nothing else. No hormones or heavy metals in my body.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcwife86
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM

my husband had a vasectomy so i dont need to worry abt that anymore. if i did though id honestly just go the NFP route rather than take anything like that again. Previously i was on the Depo shot for a year and three months. when the doc found out we were getting married she said that she would recommend me coming off of it and going to the pill so that i wouldn't have a hard time conceiving later on. she said that it takes most people between 1-3 years to get back to where they were fertility wise if they have been on it a year or more. I agreed and went on the pill. fast foward 3 months and i forgot a pill and double took the next day, i now have an almost 4 year old lol. so yeah....fertility isnt always messed up by the depo shot thats for sure lol.

babie113
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM

encare

Allebas
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Your DH may be in for a NICE surprise after his vas!! I did a TON of research on tubals and vasectomy. I also talked to my BFF about tubals. She along with 8 other women had tubals. All of them suffer horrible side effects known as post tubal ligation syndrome. And yes--I am quite well aware that not "ALL" women get post tubal ligation syndrome. My friend bleeds almost every day of the month, is very emotional all month long, has severe abdominal pains throughout the month, has pain during sex, and bleeds very heavily on her 'actual' days that she has a period. There are a ton of different symptoms to post tubal ligation syndrome. She and her 8 friends all went to the Dr. to make sure there was nothing else wrong with them. ALL of them were given a clean bill of health and told that the only explanation is they had a tubal. SOOOO---I was like ya--no thanks!! After doing a ton of research on vasectomy, I found that there are no really bad side effects for most men. In fact, there is actually a pretty NICE positive side effect! In about 35-45% of men after they have a vasectomy, they reported stronger, better orgasms!!!! Not that they don't experience nice orgasms before a vasectomy, but my DH said his orgasms are more intense, stronger and feel better than before!! A tubal does not increase the sensation of a woman's orgasm whatsoever.

Anyway, good luck to your DH Jubileee!! I hope (for your sake and his), that he is one of the men who gets to have better orgasms after his vas!! :) Oh!! Also, I will add since having his vasectomy, he does not 'shoot out' near as much stuff as he use to which is SOOOOO NICE!!!! : )    :)

Quoting Jubileee:

Pull out and sometimes condoms. Dh is getting a Vasectomy on February.

chrisnmandysmom
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Anything with hormones is dangerous, it changes your chemical makeup and alters your perception of reality. (Such as scent, it can be subtle but it's still true and it can affect you in ways you aren't even aware of!) 

Depo is bad news, I have only met a few, and I mean a handful, of people that weren't severely damaged by it. I'm grateful to my doctor for talking me out of Norplant now that it's been taken off the market. (if it's still out there with all the lawsuits, I haven't heard about it)

anyway, I had tubal ligation performed with my most recent daughter's birth in July 2012. It was necessary, any more children could prove terminal and my doctorS/husband/family insisted. I agreed, I wanted 3, I have 3, I'm happy :-) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)