Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Birth Control... what is your choice?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What is your method of BC?

Options:

Mirena

Implanon

Depo-Provera

The Pill... or similiar

Ortho Evra (Patch)

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 207

View Results

It's been 5 years now since I've had the Mirena. For the most part I really like it, never had any major issues. Over the past 6 months or so I've began to have a normal period again (after not having one at all) but I figured it's just because the hormones are running out. Anyhow, I'm debating on what type of birth control I want to try next. Before the Mirena I was never on anything... which is how I ended up with my amazing little girl! :) But, I'm planning on trying to conceive in about 3 years. So I'm debating between the implanon, or the patch? I've read fertility may take a while when you are on the shot, so I don't think I want that. I'm not very good at remembering to take pills everyday, so I'm scared to be on any kind of pills. Any suggestions, thoughts, personal opinions would be greatly appreciated. I've only got a couple more weeks to make this decision. Thanks yall!

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Replies (91-100):
KittyTussand
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:57 PM

we use the pull out method.  We did it that way for 8 years then we planned to have our first baby 3 months later i was pregnant!! then we used the pull out method again until we decided to try for our second...low and behold month later we are expecting our second!! i know some say its not a true method but it works for us! 

JanuaryBaby06
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I had problems with the patch. I was on the patch for a couple of months after i had ds1. i would kind of get lightheaded or whatever but never connected it to the birth control. Then I started getting weird stomach aches and nasua..... never thoght anything of it. Then one day i was at school and felt off... usually if i sat down the pains would go away but it didnt. my teacher asked if everything was okay.. i said it was then i changed my mind. something was off. i went to the bathroom and started throwing up. The nurse called my mom to get me, which i really didnt want them to do. my mom mentioned the birth control and i told my obgyn (over the phone) and they said TAKE OFF THE PATCH NOW!!  I was 103 when i started throwing up... after 4 days of crazy pain and throwing up ( i didnt have insurence yet so i just suffered through) i got through it weighing 78lbs. i had soem trouble conceiving #2  but i was able to on my own with no help. but needless to stay i stayed away from sex until me and my then fiance were married (over a year later) then we did natual family planning for the 1st year and a half until we were ready to start trying then another year a half later our final child made his arrival (my kids are 4 1/2 years apart) and DH got fixed.

Quoting Tay06:

Every birth control affects everyone differently, but here are the results of my three attempts.  I am not on birth control anymore, because I'm terrified to try any more.

Pill #1 (low dose) (16 years old):

1. nausea/vomitting (for three months)

2. severe bleeding (non stop period & nose bleeds)

3. Migraines

4. Acne

Pill #2 (Larger dose because Dr. thought that was the problem) (18 years old)

1. More vomitting and nausea (First 4 months)

2. HORRIBLE acne

3. Neverending period (First 4 months)

4. Pregnant (Yes, I was taking the pill the same time every day.  I had an alarm on my phone).  (Condom broke... damn it all to Hell.)

Mirena (After baby) (20-21 years old)

1. nonstop period

2. Horrible cramps

3. Horrible acne

4. Mood swings from Hell (my mother and SO's words)

5. Vomitting and nausea

6.  Randomly passed out multiple times

7.  Hormone imbalances that NOTHING fixed.

Went to dr. twice in the first year and was first told to wait a little longer for it to "settle" and then had it turned because it moved.

7. Same symptoms as above and VERY VERY tired.

8.  Serious pain in my lower stomach

Finally, blood and clumps of stuff fell out of me (sorry TMI) and I passed out in my SO's bathroom.  Went to the doctor to find out:

1. Had a miscarriage.  2.5 month old fetus (guess by the doctor) (Yes we were using condoms too, though my dr told me I didn't have to because I had the miraculous Mirena.  Let's just say I didn't trust it...)

2. My ovaries are severely damaged.

3. May not be able to become pregnant again in the future.

4. The dr. took 10 minutes to get it out.  :(  Fortunately, the new dr that I got that agreed it needed to be out, was funny.  Her words "hello, Mr. String?  Where did you go Mr. String?"  She was a really good doctor.  Even gave me several hugs.  :)

I am the 1%.  My body doesn't accept any form of bc apparently.  I'm okay with this, and I'm not angry anymore, but this is the list I gave my grandmother, my aunt and uncle, and my SO's mother when they found out I wasn't on bc.  It makes me literally sick, and I have given up.  If I can't have another child in the future then fine.  I have a beautiful, smart 2 year old little boy.  I think everyone should know what COULD happen if they take Mirena.  The same thing happened to two of my mommy friends when they got Mirena put it.  One of them had a tubal, but I have a few friends who LOVE it.  Every drug/medicaton has a risk.  Good luck to everyone!  :)

Amy127
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Natural family planning. I track my periods and ovulation. Wrap it up when Its near ovulation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1stpreggers
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I've used 4 diff pills, mirena and the patch. Im not taking anything atm

macilah
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:57 PM

WE USE PULLOUT AND CONDOMS

maracoles
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I think you should stay with the Mirena. I am using that now and it is so much easier than any other I have tried. I used the shot but I did not like the side effects( weight gain) and I forgot to take the pill so that was out so I made my decision to stay on the Mirena until we are ready for another addition this time.... Good Luck with whatever you decide!!

cabrandy03
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

We do natural family planning

Jamie1972
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:26 PM

had my tubes tied 9.5 years ago. 

blue_apalt
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I LOVED the Creighton Model of NFP.    It is as affective as the pill and works great.  I loved that I was not messing w/ any of my hormones and that there was no chance that if I did conceive that it could interfere w/ implantation and cause me to loose a baby I never knew was there (which some medical professionals feel hormonal birth control does at times).     It also teaches you a ton about your body and how it works.  We stopped using it only because dh got snipped after our last, but we used it for 8.5 yrs w/o a single oops, and all 3 of our girls were conceived w/in 1-2 months of trying.  I would strongly recommend it.  The method is taught to you by a trained practitioner so you know what you are doing and it's not guess work.  It teaches you to tell when you're ovulating by seeing the specific changes your body goes threw when you ovulate...there is no counting or guessing of "I think today is safe/not safe."    It was great.

Mrs.Winchester
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM

If you're not having any problems with your current method-  stick with it.  Trust me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)