Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Barnes and Noble is pi$$ing me off!

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:55 AM
  • 16 Replies

DH bought me a nook for christmas. i love it. well i have been trying to purchase stuff off the site to download onto my book and for some reason it wouldnt go thru. dh set his debit card up for me

well he decided to buy me a gift card for my nook and i got it uploaded and it still wont work

so i called the headquarters and they said even though i have a gift card balance i still need a credit card on file (which i do but dh has to verify it) wtf??? even though i have a gift card balance i cant use it

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:57 AM
That sucks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:59 AM
DD's kindle is set up with a gift card. She had to buy on my laptop. She can't use it directly on her kindle without a cc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:03 AM
The messed up thing that there is a card on file. What about the people who don't have a cc or dc?

Quoting mommytoeandb:

DD's kindle is set up with a gift card. She had to buy on my laptop. She can't use it directly on her kindle without a cc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Uniquecoolio
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:05 AM
b&n sux. I use anything but them. including the library on my phone...cloud.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chalisa0
by Kim on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:00 PM

They disgust me too.  Last year, dd got a gift card for there from our church (as a graduation present.)  B&N said there was a $0 balance on the card, which WAS activated and UNUSED.  ???  How can you activate a $0 balance?  The church had bought a bunch of them at once to give to all the youth group kids.  B&N said there's nothing they can do about it-even though it was very obvious that whoever sold the cards screwed that one up and only put a $0 balance on it.  (They said unless we brought in all the cards and the receipt, we couldn't prove it-which of course is impossible as all the cards were given to different people.)  Ticked me off-they rip people off.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:02 PM

i can kinda of see their point. did you talk to her church about it?

Quoting chalisa0:

They disgust me too.  Last year, dd got a gift card for there from our church (as a graduation present.)  B&N said there was a $0 balance on the card, which WAS activated and UNUSED.  ???  How can you activate a $0 balance?  The church had bought a bunch of them at once to give to all the youth group kids.  B&N said there's nothing they can do about it-even though it was very obvious that whoever sold the cards screwed that one up and only put a $0 balance on it.  (They said unless we brought in all the cards and the receipt, we couldn't prove it-which of course is impossible as all the cards were given to different people.)  Ticked me off-they rip people off.

emelymac
by Emely on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:07 PM

If the card was activated with a zero balance then no money was paid for it. So, they really aren't ripping anyone off. That's a risk that you get when you buy gift cards in bulk. There's the potential of one getting missed. That's why the customer should always check before leaving the register. 

Quoting chalisa0:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Hmmm that is the fun of these things.  I am able to get free books though w/o using a credit card.

chalisa0
by Kim on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Yes.  The church had a receipt for all the cards, which were all activated for $25.  None were activated for $0 according to the receipt.  This card was activated with $0 balance-even though B&N admitted it was a $25 unused card (and activated by them at their cash register.)  What they said was impossible.  How can you have a $25 card with a $0 balance that was unused? (Even they said it was unused.)  What they said was our only recourse (of bringing in the receipt and ALL the cards) was impossible.  

Quoting silverdawn99:

i can kinda of see their point. did you talk to her church about it?

Quoting chalisa0:

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:46 PM

i am able to download free books  with no problem

i want to be able to buy other books like jane eyre, and angry birds, and other stuff

but i cant that is what annoying

Quoting frndlyfn:

Hmmm that is the fun of these things.  I am able to get free books though w/o using a credit card.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)