Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

**sigh** my poor sister :-( looks like we have plans for NY's after all.....

Posted by   + Show Post

so my sisters J & L are getting together with their men and friends at L's house in saskatoon for a NY's poker party, and rocky really wanted to go. 

but L told mom "no, she will just kill our buzz and we will have to babysit her"

Rocky has been very melancholy, saying she has no friends to celebrate with, no one loves her, all that stuff. 

mom called me sounding very sad, and weary, she said rocky had gouged her face with her fingernails, leaving deep marks, and she is worried that rocky might be suicidal.

mom and her SO had just planned on having a quiet night at home, me and dh had the same idea. 

but mom is desperate to get rocky out of the house, so it sounds like they will be driving 2 1/2 hrs to get here, so they can "party"  with us.

which of course i am completely fine with.

but i am so mad at J&L.  fucking assholes. less than a year ago our sister shot herself, and was lying in ICU for 2 months, another 4 months in recovery, we are so lucky she didn't die. 

and now, what, not their problem? ugh!!!!!! i am so ashamed of them right now :-(

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Replies (21-30):
gavansmommy
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I remember your post.  I am sorry for what your family is going through.  To be honest, it sounds like she needs some inpatient care until she can get a little more stable.  It is not fair for her to suffer like this and it is not fair to your family to have to walk on eggshells.  I hope tonight goes smoothly and I really hope she is able to get the help she needs.  Good luck

D.O.E.
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM

well it isn't so easy once a person is the age of adult, which is 18, you can't MAKE her do anything, and mom has very little power when it comes to rockies medical conditions. she can call the psych ward, and *TRY* to have her admitted, but she would need to be threatening herself, or others, pretty dramatically to be admitted. 

i *wish* mom would just let her live in assisted living facility, but mom worries she will fall between the cracks there. she has only been out of hospital since sept. 

we need to give her time.

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

not judging but why isnt she in a care facility to where she can be monitored if she is suicidal? Jw .Either way gl tonight

MrsRinehart2010
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:42 PM

is it possible to have a in home nurse come an visit most the day or several times a day? I mean it doesnt even have to be a nurse my mil has no medical experience an she is a home health aid type thing where she just goes in a spend time with people so they dont feel so alone an can help"watch" them while family memebers go an do tings they need an wan to do

Quoting D.O.E.:

well it isn't so easy once a person is the age of adult, which is 18, you can't MAKE her do anything, and mom has very little power when it comes to rockies medical conditions. she can call the psych ward, and *TRY* to have her admitted, but she would need to be threatening herself, or others, pretty dramatically to be admitted. 

i *wish* mom would just let her live in assisted living facility, but mom worries she will fall between the cracks there. she has only been out of hospital since sept. 

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

not judging but why isnt she in a care facility to where she can be monitored if she is suicidal? Jw .Either way gl tonight

Due9
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:52 PM

This

Quoting chickensmommy:

I'm sorry but I have a sister with mental illness. She is so destructive that I have cut ties with her. People get tired of walking on eggshells!

juggling

tossed
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I am sorry for your entire family. Your situation is just another example of the problems with mental health care in our country. I also think people don't understand that being suicidal does not mean a person is sitting with a gun or bottle of pills. For many, it is a fairly constant state of mind. It is hard to understand the depths of dispair unless you have been there. I hope your mom is also getting counseling. Being a care giver is HARD and she needs a place to express her concerns. I hope your evening goes smoothly.

Pandora167
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I really hate to be the one to say this - but it sounds to me like she should be in a permanent home if she is repeatedly making suicide attempts.  Its hard, because she is family, but sometimes its just whats best. :(

Pandora167
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Has she been diagnosed with anything? I dont mean to be insensitive, but if her only real issue is suicide attempts, your family may have made a mistake not admitting her to a psych ward or permanent home immidiately after her last attempt.

Quoting D.O.E.:

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

D.O.E.
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Quoting Pandora167:

I really hate to be the one to say this - but it sounds to me like she should be in a permanent home if she is repeatedly making suicide attempts.  Its hard, because she is family, but sometimes its just whats best. :(

she has always been impulsive and rebellious, chosen to learn about life the hard way. she has only attempted it once, but it was a very serious attempt. luckily, the gun was loaded with birdshot, and the pellets just peppered her brain instead of shredding. she is "normal" in so many ways, she just seems a little slow. but she writes things on her FB that are alarming. and gets very sad. we are all scared that the next time she tries, it will be worse, kwim? and our family has been through so much already.....she could go live in an assisted living home, perhaps, but mom is reluctant to let her because she is worried something might happen to her or the people caring for her won;t be nice, or whatever. i am sure eventually she will have to though.
kansasmom1978
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:44 PM

That is terrible!

D.O.E.
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:46 PM

her and mom came out and we watched a movie and ate yummy food, they are headed back to the farm now, and i am heading to bed soon!

Quoting kansasmom1978:

That is terrible!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN