Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dairy allergy and lactose intolerant help PLEASE!

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:11 AM
  • 11 Replies
Hi ladies,
I could really use some help. My baby has FTT and they ruled out dairy issues. They did a still sample which showed nothing abnormal. They did bloodwork but I can't remember if it was for these issues. They also did an Endoscopy to check for abnormal swelling and allergy signs but found nothing. Anyone have this happen and actually have it?

As a newborn he did occasionally have mucus in stool but nothing alarming. He ended up hospitalized after he stopped eating and had to use a feeding tube for months. They said he had severe GERD and was prescribed medications. Despite all that it didnt control his reflux well enough. Fast forward here, he will be 1yr next week and got sick a few weeks ago so we had to stop giving dairy. He stopped spitting up. This is basically the only sign. Now, tonight I gave him toast with butter and he is refluxing, spit up after not doing it for weeks, and his breath smells like stomach acid. Just wonder if anyone has this as an allergy or intolerance sign?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Diana_B.
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Stool sample not still sample
nellyb118
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:17 AM
Have you been to a pediatric gastroenterologist? First thing they tested DS for was lactose intolerance. He would vomit often, occasional diarrhea, & have bad stomach aches.
Diana_B.
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Yes. That is who did all of the tests and also handles his reflux.

Quoting nellyb118:

Have you been to a pediatric gastroenterologist? First thing they tested DS for was lactose intolerance. He would vomit often, occasional diarrhea, & have bad stomach aches.

Diana_B.
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:45 AM
Just thought to add too that he avoids milk and yogurt. Can they have different reactions to different types of dairy? I switched him to soy milk and he still refluxed but then I was told some with dairy or lactose issues still cant tolerate soy so they have to be on rice milk. Butter seems to be an irritant for him.

Quoting Diana_B.:

Quoting nellyb118:

RoseWall
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:43 AM

heres a bump

nellyb118
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM
For ds cheese and milk really bothers him, he can get away with eating yogurt & ice cream without taking lactaid.
He drinks lactaid milk and we buy lactaid ice cream. Our GI doctor said soy can cause problems as well as beverages with high fructose corn syrup, something about lactose & fructose being molecularly similar.
So we only give him 100% juice,water,& lactaid milk.

Quoting Diana_B.:

Just thought to add too that he avoids milk and yogurt. Can they have different reactions to different types of dairy? I switched him to soy milk and he still refluxed but then I was told some with dairy or lactose issues still cant tolerate soy so they have to be on rice milk. Butter seems to be an irritant for him.

Quoting Diana_B.:

Quoting nellyb118:

CrystalYaris
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM

My son is allergic to dairy and soy. When he was born, the usual newborn blood testing said he had something (can't remember what it is called right now) where he couldn't digest the natural sugars found in milk. I had to stop breast feeding and give him soy formula. The soy formula made him break out and get constipated. Had to switch to Similac Alimentum. He did great on that. When he was 18 months old, my dad gave him some milk. Next thing I know, he is breaking out from head to toe. But his breathing was fine. He started getting constipated. He had a new doctor at this point. I remembered these same symptoms with the soy, and argued with that new doctor until I was blue in the face about a milk allergy. A week later, she calls me and is apologizing and she was wrong. She had to do some research and found out I wasn't the crazy one. My son eat yogurt and only gets constipated, but cheese and milk makes him flare up every time. I give my son rice milk. I drink almond milk because I'm lactose intolerant. Dairy makes me lethargic and I have bad stomach cramps with it.

Diana_B.
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM
I'm not familiar with Lactaid. Is this something a dairy allergy child can drink or is this just for lactose intolerance? There is a difference between the 2.

Quoting nellyb118:

For ds cheese and milk really bothers him, he can get away with eating yogurt & ice cream without taking lactaid.

He drinks lactaid milk and we buy lactaid ice cream. Our GI doctor said soy can cause problems as well as beverages with high fructose corn syrup, something about lactose & fructose being molecularly similar.

Quoting Diana_B.:

Quoting Diana_B.:

Quoting nellyb118:

Diana_B.
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM
We tried Alimentum and he didnt get better. :( I still BF till he was 9m though.

Quoting CrystalYaris:

My son is allergic to dairy and soy. When he was born, the usual newborn blood testing said he had something (can't remember what it is called right now) where he couldn't digest the natural sugars found in milk. I had to stop breast feeding and give him soy formula. The soy formula made him break out and get constipated. Had to switch to Similac Alimentum. He did great on that. When he was 18 months old, my dad gave him some milk. Next thing I know, he is breaking out from head to toe. But his breathing was fine. He started getting constipated. He had a new doctor at this point. I remembered these same symptoms with the soy, and argued with that new doctor until I was blue in the face about a milk allergy. A week later, she calls me and is apologizing and she was wrong. She had to do some research and found out I wasn't the crazy one. My son eat yogurt and only gets constipated, but cheese and milk makes him flare up every time. I give my son rice milk. I drink almond milk because I'm lactose intolerant. Dairy makes me lethargic and I have bad stomach cramps with it.

nellyb118
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Just lactose intolerant. It's a line of medicine and dairy foods.

Quoting Diana_B.:

I'm not familiar with Lactaid. Is this something a dairy allergy child can drink or is this just for lactose intolerance? There is a difference between the 2.

Quoting nellyb118:

Quoting Diana_B.:

Quoting Diana_B.:

Quoting nellyb118:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)