Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

S/O Why I am in Martial Arts

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM
  • 8 Replies
I have been replying to a post in here involving a lady who needs help. I was in an abusive relationship seven years ago. Long story short, the man I am married to now got me and the kids out, but because I was bold enough to hold my ex accountable through the courts, he told his sister that he was going to shoot me. At the time, I had NO self-esteem and no confidence in myself whatsoever. Well, my father owns a building where I live, and a man teaches martial arts there. I talked to him, and I got me AND MY KIDS in it. That was 4 1/2 years ago, and while we have not hit black, the progress we made together brought us closer as a family. If I can figure mobile out, I will post a pic of us just after our last exam taken Feb of last year. Since then, my older son quit after graduating high school, and my younger two have advanced a rank ahead of me due to me having medical problems on the day of the exam. My daughter has also since gone on to win the State Sparring Championship.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
momma-flynn
by ♥Gee Willickers♥ on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM
That's great!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rhope4
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

This is us. I ran out of space, but my daughter won State for her division in Sparring. I intend to go all the way to Black Belt with this. Would I be able to take my ex in a fight? Who knows? But what I DO know is that I have a confidence I did not have this time five years ago. Self defense will benefit anyone who takes it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ccnstanczak
by Save Humanity! on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I LOVE MARTIAL ARTS. love it.

my dad and i got our white belts together (and we took tai chi together too.

a new dojo just opened up in my little town and im sooo excited!!

rhope4
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:23 PM
What kind? Ours is American Soryu, and we have our solid brown belts. My younger two are first stripe. There is a second and third stripe, and then black. We are in the advanced levels.

Quoting ccnstanczak:

I LOVE MARTIAL ARTS. love it.

my dad and i got our white belts together (and we took tai chi together too.

a new dojo just opened up in my little town and im sooo excited!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM
That's fantastic, my son is an adult black belt and DH is a second degree, although karate is not personally for me...I love that my guys are into it
FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM
My guys do american kenpo, son also took a little over a yead of wing chun
rhope4
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Kenpo sounds familiar. I think my instructor may have studied that system, but he teaches American Soryu. He is an 8th degree.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

My guys do american kenpo, son also took a little over a yead of wing chun
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovelove211
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Found it :) thanks for posting this. It does sound like a great idea and I might look into that
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)