Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Last may my 6 then 5 yr old was informerly diagnosed with adhd and after alot of thinking we decided to put him on medicine. he takes 5mg focalin xr. everything was good up until a few months ago. he is gotten more agressive,doesnt want his brother to make any noise what so ever and screams at him if he does,throws things,hits,whinier,crys about everything. i have an appointment set up for an eeg and physcometeic testing feb.25th but im not sure i.can wait that long
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
Love.My.Soldier
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Behavioral therapy. It has done amazing things with my son. It has taught me a completely new way to parent.

Quoting supermom0609:

What is aba therapy?

Quoting Love.My.Soldier:

My son has had to have meds changed over the years. It happens. I would definitely try and help without medication as well. Take out soda, artificial colors and sweeteners, possibly gluten. Also look into ABA therapy. That has been life changing for our family!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:16 PM

To me that wouldnt be good.  I would want a better evaluation since in the case of just filling out a form.  Any adult could lie just so they could put their child on drugs.  Not saying you did that but i know others who would.  I hope you can get an earlier appointment for further testing.

Quoting supermom0609:

I brought him to the doctor they had me fill out a form and his teacher and the symptoms matched so they recommended i.put him on meds and he was getting in trouble in school every day

Quoting frndlyfn:

How can he be put on medication if he is inFORMALly diagnosed with something?   What are your discipline methods set in place?  I would get an official diagnosis and from there see if there is a group in your area that supports parents with children who have adhd so you can gain some other perspectives on what discipline works best.  Have you tried the caffeine treatment with him at all?   He could have sensory issues as well.

supermom0609
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM
No i by.no means lied i.waz completely truthful however thats exactly why i want formal testing to find out for sure what he has and what he does not have and this place takes forever to get in so the only way i can get any sooner is if there is a cancellation

Quoting frndlyfn:

To me that wouldnt be good.  I would want a better evaluation since in the case of just filling out a form.  Any adult could lie just so they could put their child on drugs.  Not saying you did that but i know others who would.  I hope you can get an earlier appointment for further testing.

Quoting supermom0609:

I brought him to the doctor they had me fill out a form and his teacher and the symptoms matched so they recommended i.put him on meds and he was getting in trouble in school every day

Quoting frndlyfn:

How can he be put on medication if he is inFORMALly diagnosed with something?   What are your discipline methods set in place?  I would get an official diagnosis and from there see if there is a group in your area that supports parents with children who have adhd so you can gain some other perspectives on what discipline works best.  Have you tried the caffeine treatment with him at all?   He could have sensory issues as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Thats exactly what i want and need is to learn exactly how to handel him and parent him the best way.possible.

Quoting Love.My.Soldier:

Behavioral therapy. It has done amazing things with my son. It has taught me a completely new way to parent.

Quoting supermom0609:

What is aba therapy?

Quoting Love.My.Soldier:

My son has had to have meds changed over the years. It happens. I would definitely try and help without medication as well. Take out soda, artificial colors and sweeteners, possibly gluten. Also look into ABA therapy. That has been life changing for our family!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenBee107
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:25 PM

you need to go back to the doctor that is overseeing his ADHD meds and talk to them about what is going on with him. The Foclin XR may not be the med for him. The thing with ADHD is that it can take time to find the med that works for each child. you may have to go through a few meds before finding the right one. each child is difference. Both my boys have ADHD and my older one sounds a lot like your 6 yr old only he is 9 yrs old. He also has Asprger's and Anxiety which plays into his moods.my younger son who is now 6 yrs old is the poster child for ADHD and what you think of when you think of ADHD. running around like his head was cut off, can not pay attention, and acts without thought. My older son was 4.5 yrs old when he was put on his first med to help him sleep and to help him focus. He has had to change meds and add more meds since then. my younger son went on Meds at 3.5 yrs old. He was so hyper and acting without thinking that he was close to being kicked out of daycare. only reason he wasn't was I worked there and they knew I was really trying with him. He daycare teacher said you could just see he was trying his hardest to sit still during story time because he loved story time but he couldn't keep his hands and legs still. He would sit on his hands to try to keep them to himself it was that bad. He throw a chair and it hit a kid it the head. It wasn't because he wanted to hurt the kid it was because he wanted to see it fly. he didn't think about it maybe hurting someone. With the small dose of meds he could control his impulses and think before he acted. Now he has changed meds twice. once because the first med he was on made him very sleepy while he was at daycare it was ok since they napped after lunch but once he got to school age and there was no nap I had the doctor put him on a small dose of Adderall. Adderall was working great for him till the insurnce company stop covering it. we switch him to Vyvanse and he has been on the same dose since then. 

my older son we have had to play around with his meds more and we still do not have it totally under control. Also something to keep in mind is that as kids get older, grow bigger and gain more weight their meds may need to be adjusted for that. I think the testing you have set up is also a good step to go in but I would see if you could get into the doctor before then for a med eval because I hear you Feb 23 is a long time away. 

kansasmom1978
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Meds have to be re evaluated and adjusted regularly and if he's informally diagnosed why is he on meds? You be seeking a formal diagnosis. As kids grow and gain weight the meds do not work as well and have to be adjusted accordingly. 

kansasmom1978
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM

ABA is a good option, but very expensive and not covered by insurance.

Quoting Love.My.Soldier:

Quoting supermom0609:

What is aba therapy?

Quoting Love.My.Soldier:

supermom0609
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM
We have an appointment for an eeg and phsycometric testing.at the end of february

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Meds have to be re evaluated and adjusted regularly and if he's informally diagnosed why is he on meds? You be seeking a formal diagnosis. As kids grow and gain weight the meds do not work as well and have to be adjusted accordingly. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM
His insurance does cover most therapies i will have to check.and see if it covers this

Quoting kansasmom1978:

ABA is a good option, but very expensive and not covered by insurance.

Quoting Love.My.Soldier:

Quoting supermom0609:

What is aba therapy?

Quoting Love.My.Soldier:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)