Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Last may my 6 then 5 yr old was informerly diagnosed with adhd and after alot of thinking we decided to put him on medicine. he takes 5mg focalin xr. everything was good up until a few months ago. he is gotten more agressive,doesnt want his brother to make any noise what so ever and screams at him if he does,throws things,hits,whinier,crys about everything. i have an appointment set up for an eeg and physcometeic testing feb.25th but im not sure i.can wait that long
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Replies (21-30):
mama_2_jasper
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Wtf!? So you filled out a piece of paper and then they gave you mess for him just like that!? Sounds very unprofessional.

Quoting supermom0609:

I brought him to the doctor they had me fill out a form and his teacher and the symptoms matched so they recommended i.put him on meds and he was getting in trouble in school every day

Quoting frndlyfn:

How can he be put on medication if he is inFORMALly diagnosed with something?   What are your discipline methods set in place?  I would get an official diagnosis and from there see if there is a group in your area that supports parents with children who have adhd so you can gain some other perspectives on what discipline works best.  Have you tried the caffeine treatment with him at all?   He could have sensory issues as well.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
acaisha
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM

get his sleep checked out.. a sleep study.. my son was  misdiagnosed and it was enlarged tonsils and adnoids and he was sleep deprived.. worth checking into.. very common problem with ADHD kids.. google it!

Uniquecoolio
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM
he could also be bipolar. I could see that my son was LONG before an official diagnosis. we tried add meds for years with short-lived results. your son sounds irritable, argumentative and moody. signs of bipolar in early childhood. just a thought for you. after years of trying add meds, my son is on lithium. what a difference!
BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Most ADHD meds are weight based. If he's gained any weight, it could be why the medication's not working anymore.

My 10 year old has ADHD, and he goes for medication checkups to the psychiatrist every three months. I wouldn't go more than six months with out a medication checkup.

Also, I would get him in to a psychologist to have him formally evaluated, because he may not have ADHD, it may be another beast.

supermom0609
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Yes that is my primary goal right now to find out exactly what he does and does not have. his daddy has problems too ocd,anxiety,depression ect.

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

Most ADHD meds are weight based. If he's gained any weight, it could be why the medication's not working anymore.

My 10 year old has ADHD, and he goes for medication checkups to the psychiatrist every three months. I wouldn't go more than six months with out a medication checkup.

Also, I would get him in to a psychologist to have him formally evaluated, because he may not have ADHD, it may be another beast.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:20 PM
He gets about 11hrs of sleep a night he takes clonidine and is out about 8-8 30 and wakes up around 7 and 6 20 when he goes to school.

Quoting acaisha:

get his sleep checked out.. a sleep study.. my son was  misdiagnosed and it was enlarged tonsils and adnoids and he was sleep deprived.. worth checking into.. very common problem with ADHD kids.. google it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Im hoping not but if he does id rather find out sooner rather than later

Quoting Uniquecoolio:

he could also be bipolar. I could see that my son was LONG before an official diagnosis. we tried add meds for years with short-lived results. your son sounds irritable, argumentative and moody. signs of bipolar in early childhood. just a thought for you. after years of trying add meds, my son is on lithium. what a difference!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Uniquecoolio
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM
I hear you there. agree completely!

Quoting supermom0609:

Im hoping not but if he does id rather find out sooner rather than later

Quoting Uniquecoolio:

sweetnana1964
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I know how hard this can be. I had a son and daugher with ADD and ADHD. I will say that firm and unwavering discipline (firmly set and explain rules and consequences and be sure to fallow through) along with a lot of patients and love can really help. Also, a lot of structure.  My son was on Adderal and it worked great for him.

acaisha
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM

my son also slept excessively.. but he had apnea.. you couldn't tell he wasn't getting quality of sleep. We had zero clue until he was 14 and he got a q-tip stuck in his ear.. totally random.. ENT said his tonsils need to come out.. and said if he had ADD 80% chance it would go away.. it did.. 100%.. its worth getting it done.. its easy and takes one night.. you can do it at home. All they do is stick an oximeter to their toe or finger.. no harm in ruling it out.

Quoting supermom0609:

He gets about 11hrs of sleep a night he takes clonidine and is out about 8-8 30 and wakes up around 7 and 6 20 when he goes to school.

Quoting acaisha:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)