Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Last may my 6 then 5 yr old was informerly diagnosed with adhd and after alot of thinking we decided to put him on medicine. he takes 5mg focalin xr. everything was good up until a few months ago. he is gotten more agressive,doesnt want his brother to make any noise what so ever and screams at him if he does,throws things,hits,whinier,crys about everything. i have an appointment set up for an eeg and physcometeic testing feb.25th but im not sure i.can wait that long
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Replies (41-50):
J9Mommy
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Crying and being whiny don't particularly make me think ADHD.

Also if he is freaking out over noises that his brother is making, that could be a sign of sensory processing disorder and just being siblings in general.  I would recommend an evaluation by an OT to see if possibly sensory issues are causing some of the outbursts. Children who have sensory issues can appear aggressive or hyper due to the stimulation and how they process it.

I saw someone mention a side effect of the medicine he is currently on IS aggression, so I would also look into that as well.

imuney
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

My mother treated my sister without medication by limiting sugar, food coloring, processed foods and with consistent and firm discipline.  Medication is not a cure all!

This helps and sometimes cures more diseases than people know. Its worth a try.

supermom0609
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Ive tried cutting.out red 40 ect he mainly drinks tea and doesnt have any food coloring didnt make any difference. i even tried gabba and hpt5 all natural meds that didnt help.either

Quoting imuney:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

My mother treated my sister without medication by limiting sugar, food coloring, processed foods and with consistent and firm discipline.  Medication is not a cure all!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imuney
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Quoting supermom0609:

Ive tried cutting.out red 40 ect he mainly drinks tea and doesnt have any food coloring didnt make any difference. i even tried gabba and hpt5 all natural meds that didnt help.either

Quoting imuney:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

What about gluten? You could try a Celiac's diet.

kansasmom1978
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:40 AM

My son has the SED waiver which provides a state medical card. And our private insurance is primary. They both cover several therapies, but not ABA, Music, Art or IM therapies. All of which he needs:(

Quoting supermom0609:

His insurance does cover most therapies i will have to check.and see if it covers this

Quoting kansasmom1978:

ABA is a good option, but very expensive and not covered by insurance.

Quoting Love.My.Soldier:

Behavioral therapy. It has done amazing things with my son. It has taught me a completely new way to parent.

Quoting supermom0609:

What is aba therapy?

Quoting Love.My.Soldier:

My son has had to have meds changed over the years. It happens. I would definitely try and help without medication as well. Take out soda, artificial colors and sweeteners, possibly gluten. Also look into ABA therapy. That has been life changing for our family!

kansasmom1978
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM

That is not re-evaluating meds. That is testing. If a doctor prescribes meds they should set up follow up appts anywhere from 1-3 months to check how they are doing. And then continue follow up appts as long as the child is on meds. I would not keep my child on meds if he was not being monitored by his doctors.

Quoting supermom0609:

We have an appointment for an eeg and phsycometric testing.at the end of february

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Meds have to be re evaluated and adjusted regularly and if he's informally diagnosed why is he on meds? You be seeking a formal diagnosis. As kids grow and gain weight the meds do not work as well and have to be adjusted accordingly. 

trainlady
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:29 AM

As children with ADHD grow and go through the stages of life they often need to change either their medication or the dose of same. With what you are saying I do encourage you to call the doctor and tell him that it is an emergency and your child may hurt the other one and you feel you all are in danger. Get him in as soon as possible. He may have the Simple X Syndrome as well as ADHD. My nephew has it and he is now 21 years old and in a living facility with others that are the same. When he was home he got to be dangerous to his brother and sister so he had to be placed in a home. He does well there and in a lot of things is doing great, but he will never be able to live alone. Get your child into the doctor immediately you will feel much better and they may be able to help him immediately.

NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:39 AM

My son is on meds but I also do not give him refined sugar or red dye.  He also takes yoga and dance.  Still isnt a cure all.  Its still a process. 

TheMrs407
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I'm not sure if agression is part of ADHD.

I would call and ask for an apointment as soon as you can.  I agree, two months it too long to wait.

Love.My.Soldier
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Our insurance covers ABA and it has been amazing. Hopefully they will look into covering these types of therapies for you in the future.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

My son has the SED waiver which provides a state medical card. And our private insurance is primary. They both cover several therapies, but not ABA, Music, Art or IM therapies. All of which he needs:(

Quoting supermom0609:

His insurance does cover most therapies i will have to check.and see if it covers this

Quoting kansasmom1978:

ABA is a good option, but very expensive and not covered by insurance.

Quoting Love.My.Soldier:

Behavioral therapy. It has done amazing things with my son. It has taught me a completely new way to parent.

Quoting supermom0609:

What is aba therapy?

Quoting Love.My.Soldier:

My son has had to have meds changed over the years. It happens. I would definitely try and help without medication as well. Take out soda, artificial colors and sweeteners, possibly gluten. Also look into ABA therapy. That has been life changing for our family!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)