Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My Dh and I are looking to buy a house.It is 104 years old.  It has been completely remodeled and has all new electrical and plumbing. I was reading on the sellers disclaimer that it says the basement leaks but only during real heavy rains.  Now I'm very concerned about this but my Dh says most old homes will leak in the basement some but my hubby loves this house and may just be telling me crap lol I don't know for sure. I'm from south Florida and there aren't many homes that are this old to begin with more less that have basements. So my question is .... is this a common thing and if so how big of a deal is it? Thanks, I appreciate any info.

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
Crazylovingfam
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM
You will most likely have issues with mold. I know I had ours waterproofed and it cost about $17,000
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LCG83
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Mine is 100yo. We get a lol bit of water under the basement door but really Doesn't bother us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Get a sump pump for the basement, talk to a company who waterproofs basements and have them inspect it and give you an estiment to fix it, then make a counter offer with that price in mind.

MrsRinehart2010
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM

inspections because any kiind of leak will cause a mold problem. thats what weve been dealing with now with our landlord.  It could be cause by foundaiont crack to back or faulty gutters we have some that run underground that are cracked an cause wetness to come in. An it may need a proper sealent too that wasnt done or was done poorly. I would get it looked at though may be a simple fix or something very costly.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM

basements can leak, regardless of age of home. has more to do with water table, slope and whether you have a sump pump or french drains.

TonyaO
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM
My house is 114 years old and yes the basement leaks. It's what they call a MIchigan basement and they are pretty common here. We use a sump pump to get the water out of the basement
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Our house was built in 1881. I'm in nj and just about all houses (new and old) have sump pumps here. If you like the house, I'd as move forward and if something big comes up during the inspection, check into it further and go from there. Good luck!!
FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:43 AM
my house is about 90 yrs old the basement gets damp we have to reseal the cinderblock foundation. but no it doesnt leak. thats a big problem imo
jakesmom323
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:48 AM
Don't buy it. There could be mold (black mold removal can cost thousands to remove), broken foundation, basement may not be secure and under code (walls cave in), and other issues. If it's been remodeled, I would want to see all permits and that everything is up to code. It could be a serious money pit. Get two inspectors if you really want it and I hope everything works out:) We finally decided to buy a new development after out experiences this year.
Carmel63
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:58 AM

I live in New England, and 104 would be the average age in my neighborhood.  If the house gets occasional leakage during heavy rains, this is unlikely to be a mold issue. Depending upon the geography, this can also happen with new homes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN