Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My Dh and I are looking to buy a house.It is 104 years old.  It has been completely remodeled and has all new electrical and plumbing. I was reading on the sellers disclaimer that it says the basement leaks but only during real heavy rains.  Now I'm very concerned about this but my Dh says most old homes will leak in the basement some but my hubby loves this house and may just be telling me crap lol I don't know for sure. I'm from south Florida and there aren't many homes that are this old to begin with more less that have basements. So my question is .... is this a common thing and if so how big of a deal is it? Thanks, I appreciate any info.

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Replies (21-27):
bluediamondmom
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:00 AM
Ours is built in1870. Basement is not finished - just a dirt floor. We've npt had problems with it leaking. Ours was the roof that leaked, but DH got a roofing friend to fix it. GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Well mine floods in the spring if the sump pump stops working.  I would ask them about a sump pump and hire a plumbler to put one in if they havent.  

trainlady
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:43 AM

My house is 81 years old and I love every bit of it. It has been remodeled several times over the years and over the owners. My basement leaks just a tiny little bit when spring hits and there is a lot of rain. It comes up from under the foundation, but it is a small amount. I keep and eye on it and don't store things directly on the floor. I keep bags of charcoal there to absorb the dampness and I do not have a problem with mold that way. The charcoal keeps the damp out of the air that causes mold and damage to things. I would suggest you have a plumber and a basement professional check it out to see what you have to look forward to if you buy the house. At least that way you will know what extra to fit into the budget of home owner's maintenance. All old homes have some issures, but by and large they are better built than new ones. I would not own a brand new house they are made on the cheap and you can't depend on anything with them. Good Luck

Moms2NTwins
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM

oh wow!!! I have always wanted an old farm house, I found the perfect one that was built in 1900's...unfortunately it was way too far from here lol 

Quoting SoKamele:

My house is 213 years old...........

The "basement" has mostly a dirt floor......we have a sump pump. Yes the basement has flooded.

Really it can happen in any house...........

wife to Ron and proud 

momma to 4 kiddos b(16) b(10) & my twins b/g(7) stepkids: b(15) g(10)

full time working momma

SoKamele
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM

It's got its ups and downs.......I really hated it when we moved in......but now I don't know where I would go without this old girl.

Quoting Moms2NTwins:

oh wow!!! I have always wanted an old farm house, I found the perfect one that was built in 1900's...unfortunately it was way too far from here lol 

Quoting SoKamele:

My house is 213 years old...........

The "basement" has mostly a dirt floor......we have a sump pump. Yes the basement has flooded.

Really it can happen in any house...........

PrincessRyann
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Our home is 130 years old and our basement leaks. It is very common here, I know I very few people around us with totally dry basements.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stacey7710
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Thanks everyone I talked to the bank today so depending on what they have to say we'll see where we go from there. I definitely plan on an inspection if we make it to that point with it. I didn't know how I felt about the house when I was there but I haven't been able to quit thinking about it since! I hope it works out for us and appreciate the input. Like I said before being from Florida made this a new experience for me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN