Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

smart moves with your tax refund

Posted by   + Show Post

tax season is right around the corner, and for those of us who are getting a return, anticipating spending is a must! I was wondering what some of you will be doing with your chunk of change to get some fresh ideas for myself....ya know, besides splurging on a new car, clothes etc. I'm over all of that and can wait for those things when I am able to afford them. Right now, I'm trying to move my family and myself forward, not stay stuck in the present!

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Replies (151-160):
xLilBit22
by La Melodia on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Savings so we could move quicker.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
witchybabymomma
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Getting a fence put up around my house

Definately need new work pants as I am down to 3 and they are full of holes

with the rest will put some in savings and pay extra on my house payments

alf2651
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM

We're paying off our car and then putting the rest into savings.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

MandaRose83
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM
All of ours will go towards renovating our house. We have a half finished basement we want to finish and turn into a playroom and finish getting what we need for the baby thats due in May.
givenshl
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM

If we get any refund $ we will pay ahead household bills a bit, give the kids some $ and put the rest into savings. In the next year or so we need to be moving so every piece of $ we can save we need to be doing that.

JustMe0326
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM
I get to pay off medical bills and 2 measly little credit cards (both only have a $300 limit and are only half full).
Other than that...we were trying to go to NYC for sil's wedding next September, but Idk. We need to save :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MagicTemptation
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM

My SO lost his job and was unemployed most of last year. So he is getting a nice size refund. I should get a few hundred. His new job (started yesterday) will be 5 times more than what we both made last year. So we will probably keep this set aside for what we have to pay next year.

cLanief
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM
I'm going to be buying my kids book shelves and dressers .. .book shelf for myself. And some storage containers so I can get rid of the boxes in my garage. The rest will be put in savings and I'll stock up my kitchen.
Snapdragon88
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:20 PM
We'll put it in savings. We're both still in college and dh is a bartender so there are a couple times a year where a portion of it comes in handy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcwife86
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

we are getting a new couch and mattress for sure! this couch has been through two cross country moves and a baby soo yeah lol. same with the mattress. If you are looking at some options as far as setting yourself up financially start looking towards your retirement and safety nets. you ideally should have enough for at least 3 months worth of bills in a savings account for a just in case situation and a few different options for retirement. Roth IRA is the way we go with IRA accounts because of the tax when you put money IN rather than when you take money OUT. I am also following some stocks right now that i will invest in in abt 3 or 4 months. Here is a list of the ones im looking at now. WFM, TSLA, DIS, TRN, DE, PCP, WBC, MEG, GM, BA, JNJ, COT, CAT, and ZMH. just type in the letters with the word stock behind them to see their performance and if you go to wikinvest you can get the performance along with the briefings all on the same page. look into different aggressive approaches depending on where you are now. for myself i will be going an aggressive approach at first.. abt 80 percent stocks with 20 percent bonds and as i get closer to my retirement age goal ill scale the stock percentage back and the bonds up more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)