Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Christian Mom searching for a book about parenting rude disrespectful adult kids

Posted by   + Show Post

Since my daughter (21 yrs old) has moved out, she is rude and very disrespectful; she only speaks to me  when she needs something from me. She is quiet by nature, and has been emotionally hurt by her father, grandfrathers, and  seems to be hurt from her brother joining the military. Her father & I divorced (he was physically abusing me), when she was about 11 yrs old. As a baby and a young child, she was very happy, and I was the "soccer coach, volleyball coach, 4-H Leader" for her. But after I got remarried (which lasted <5 yrs), she pulled away, and I haven't been able to get close to her since.  Now that she is on her own, she seems bitter and mad at me and the world.

Does anyone know of a good Christian book I can read for this?

THANKS!!    :)    Lidi2

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Replies (21-23):
Lidi2
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the great advise LavenderMom23, I'll check this out.

Lidi2
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Thanks Due9.  I have talked and talked to her ... but she seems to have placed a thick wall up after her father and other family members have hurt her and/or disappointed her.  She acts like she doesn't need me, or want me in her life until she needs something.  I believe you must love your children unconditionally -- that means you love them even when they're not so loveable.

She knows I am one person in her life that will not leave her or cause her pain, so yes, she knows she can hurt me and I won't abandon her.  She is very responsible, and has a good head on her shoulders, which I tell her how proud I am of her choices she's made as for attending college, and not going into debt by using credit cards; she's never gotten into trouble and has "big plans" for the future!!

But I feel she "steps" on me and is disrepectful because some people see kindness as a weakness, and I have always been there giving her positive encouragement.

I also tell her I love her every time we talk or if I see her (my Mom didn't do that) ...

Thanks again Due9 .. I will take your advise!

Lidi2

Lidi2
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Thanks -- I'll check this book out.

Lidi2

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)