Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Sick 3 year old. What do you think?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM
  • 16 Replies

Sunday, (Dec. 30) my 3 year old son woke up from his nap burning up.He also developed a croup like cough, which has since changed to a regular cough. His temp was 103.6. I gave him tylenol right away. I continued to monitor his temp just about every hour. It would go down no lower then 100.8 with the tylenol, and after 3-4 hours would be right back up over 103. He didn't want to eat much, he was drinking plenty... also complaining of headaches. Yesterday, which was day 3, his fever was down on it's own to 100.9. So I figured he was getting better. Then this morning he gets up, it's day 4.. and he's still running a low fever of 99.8, and is now complaining of light sensitivity. He still has a cough.. what do you think it could be? My doctor has always told me not to worry unless the fever is 105 or higher.. but what do you guys think?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mynewlife2012
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I am in the same boat with my 4 year old DD. I am calling the doc if she is not up to snuff tomorrow. Only thing she does not have the fever anymore just the same croup cough and stuffy nose no hunger. Hear us a bump to the lo getting better soon
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tammylynn36
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Sounds like a viral cold to me!

Alejandra10
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM
were on the same boatmy son also started the same day he gets a fever and tells me he is head hurts and he is cold. He also has the cough i called his pedi and she said it was most likely the flu since she said thats how it was going around. I tried taking him to the er since he had a high fever but all they did was called his doc who i had already speak to and said again it may just be the flu to wait it off unless it got worse. I made a post last night in a different group and they all said it sounded like the flu so hopefully your lo gets better soon but maybe call your pedi see what she says
icn_mom
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM

The temp itself is a good sign, that it is very low and most doctors dont consider 99.8 an actual fever for a child over 1. is the cough different than it was? better, worse, deeper?

chels210
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Is the child on antibiotics at all? I knows a lot of docs don't like to prescribe them but a fever for three days is too long! I would be going to the doctor or finding a new one if you have already been
alleaeon
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

sounds like some form of the flu. BTW, most colds or illnesses take 7 days or more to get over. if the fever isn't making him (or you) too uncomfortable, I would chill with the tylenol. We are getting over the flu in my house. It was about 6 days of on and off fevers before there was any difference in how anyone felt. my kids are ages 2, 4, and 6. His body will let him know what he can handle as far as food goes and as long as he is hydrated, you are in good shape.

AHmom103
by Alexis on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Sounds like a cold or flu. Has he had a runny nose, and is he coughing up any mucus? If he is, check the color (gross, I know) As long as it stays mostly clear, it's usually just a cold, not an infection.

nomadbrat83
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Sounds like the flu
momofthree3708
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM

and his cough is different.. it did sound like croup.. like barking. Now it's constant, with just about every breath.. He's not coughing stuff up, it's not loose.. it's harsh and dry.

momofthree3708
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:57 AM

It's just hard... some people say, don't worry about it.. some say it's the flu.. other's say I'm crazy for not bringing him to the doctors a long time ago..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)