Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

10 year old staying home alone.

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM
  • 32 Replies

I've been looking for a job for a really long time now  and up until now I've done it the old fashioned way. going into places and applying or calling from the news paper but I decided today to try craigslist.   I applied for 6 so far.  Keep fingers crossed i find one soon.

With that said-  When i do get a job it will most likely be during the day.  My skillset is more of a 9-5 type.  whcih means my 10 year old will be home alone a cpl days a week for like an hour and half.  a lil concerned about that.  Would you let your 10 year old stay  home alone.

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I have a 9 1/2 yr. old and do not forsee her staying at home alone within the next year or so.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Check the laws in your area. When DS was 6 I had a neighboorhood teen pick him at school (he was a walker), give him a snack and get homework started. I was home 1/2 an hour later, she was paid $5 a day. When he was 10, there were times he was alone for a short period of time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tesserae
by Mrs.Mellark on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I would not like that, no. I have an 11 yr old and I don't leave him alone.

deadlights86
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I started staying home alone around 11. Just make sure there is food that s/he can fix on her/his own. 

PrincessRyann
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM
My 10 year old dd (11 in march) stays home alone or with siblings for short periods of time. I am always in town and she has my cell number. Honestly I trust her more then my 12 year old ds, it's a maturity thing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Check the laws in your area. When DS was 6 I had a neighboorhood teen pick him at school (he was a walker), give him a snack and get homework started. I was home 1/2 an hour later, she was paid $5 a day. When he was 10, there were times he was alone for a short period of time.

For us the law states  its When I think they are ready  I did check with childrens services to double check. .  Mon she get out at 3:30 and my son is home at 4:30 thats the problem  on tuesday she gets out at 5 so its not an issue.  Wednesday is 2:40  and my son gets home at around3:30 so thats another hour.  If he has to stay late it could be an issue thursday and friday its around 4:30 and my son will be home  around then.   the only real issue is Monday and wednesday.  or if band or dance are cancelled on thursday and friday then she'll get out at 2:40  which tends to happen once a month or so.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Quoting PrincessRyann:

My 10 year old dd (11 in march) stays home alone or with siblings for short periods of time. I am always in town and she has my cell number. Honestly I trust her more then my 12 year old ds, it's a maturity thing.

I do trust her and I have a neigbor she can go to in an emergency.   When my son was her age it wouldnt of even been in the realm of a possibility. 

PrincessRyann
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM
It's amazing how different they all are, my oldest son is now 14 and at 11 I trusted him at home alone. But my 12 year old just doesn't think, I once had him watch my 4 year old for a few minutes and he let her play with a screwdriver!!!! I think these preteen years are tricky and there is no right age, you just have to go with your feelings and how well you know and trust your child. :)

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting PrincessRyann:

I do trust her and I have a neigbor she can go to in an emergency.   When my son was her age it wouldnt of even been in the realm of a possibility. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KayLundy3
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM
I was nine when I started staying home alone.. I had to check in as soon as I got home.. I was home alone five days a week.for a few hours and longer during the summer. If your child is responsible and you can trust her to follow the rules she should be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Even though we lived in a nice area in the USA - no, I would never have left my kids at age 10 home alone....especially not routinely.  I did leave my sons, 9 and 8 at the time, home twice while I drove 5 mins round-trip to pick my one aught we up at school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)