Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Boy potty training.

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 4 Replies
Can I have some potty training tips?
My son is 18 months & he's constantly taking off his diaper after he does his business. I want to introduce him to the potty,but if he isn't ready,I'm not going to force it.
Any tips or ideas?
Is a potty seat necessary?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
boys2men2soon
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

My boys were potty trained at 3.     You can spend 6 months and many accidents trying to train before they are ready, or wait until they are ready and have it done in a couple of days.      Yes, potty seats are necessary, imo.   You don't want him to fall in the potty!     To train mine to pee (they insisted on standing up like Daddy) I tossed some cheerios or fruit loops in the bowl and let them aim.

christina0607
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I have two boys, we just talked to them about using the potty. Really until they can understand what it means to use the bathroom, they can't be potty trained. So starting right before their second birthdays maybe around 20mo old we would talk about it a lot. Every diaper change, in conversation, as a talk about growing up...whenever. We would talk about hos big boys use the toilet, they pee in the toilet, when they do pee in the toilet they will go to school, when they do they will be old enough for sleep overs...things like that. 

It was all very unassuming and just easy. Like it was just normal. Then one day they both just did it. 

For my middle child(oldest son) it was when he was 2years and 8 months. He woke me up at 3am telling me he peed in the potty and now he was a big boy. He told me would put underwear on, he did at that moment and he never once wet his pants. that was it. 

My third child(second boy) he was 2 and 11 months,  he had a similar experience, one day during the day he told me he wanted to pee in the potty. I said great, lets go. He did and told me he was ready for underwear. So we put underwear on him and 2 hours later he peed his pants. He looked at me and is exact words were "ok thats good, I get it". After that he never wet himself.

Now my oldest is a girl and I did what everyone told me to do. Put them on the potty every 20 minutes, let her go naked...it was a waste of time. I wish I never bothered with all that silliness. 

TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

At 18 months intruding him to books about the potty is the best way to go.  Don't bother with a potty seat yet....he is too young.  Until he is old enough and able to tell you BEFORE he needs to go - he is NOT ready to potty train.

Once Upon a Potty is a really good book...they make a boy version (as well as a girl version).  Our kids loved that book.

From my experience - potty chairs are a waste.....especially as your child gets more used to using it, they mit go in there and not tell you they have used the potty...leaving you with a smelly mess to clean up long after it was left there.  We used the potty seat inserts for a regular toilet...so our kids learned right away everything about using the potty..including flushing after they were done.

mcwife86
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM

i got a potty seat (the kind that goes on the toilet not the kind for little kids to have their own potty) and a stool for mine at first because i didnt want him to be scared of falling in but that was short lived. honestly we didnt potty train him fully until he was abt 2.5. at abt 2 we would take him in every hour and sit him on the potty for a couple of minutes even if he said he didnt have to go. i tried reading to him on the potty like some suggested to me but it ended up just distracting him, i tried treats but that ended up making him just go sit for no reason. in the end i just kept sitting him on there. i stretched the time out until i found abt the right interval ( every 2.5 hours or so) and at 2.5 he was going on his own. he stayed home with me so i wasnt pushing training as hard as some others do. i figured eventually he would get the hang of it all i had to do was keep walking him through the motions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)