Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Seriously messed up priorities here...

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
  • 26 Replies

My dh has been having a serious problem with his health on and off. He'll suddenly start experiencing INTENSE abdominal pain. He keeps feeling like he has to pee, but he can't, and he gets blood in his urine and one time even a fever. I'll beg him to go to the E.R. right away, He'll refuse, or sometimes say he'll go in the morning, (this always happens late afternoon or early evening and lasts all night), but then in the morning he'll feel better and not go.

After a few of these episodes he finally went to a walk in clinic during his lunch hour. They did a pee test and prescribed him Cipro. He felt better again, but the pee test came back negative for u.t.i. So, then a couple of weeks later he has ANOTHER of these episodes, this was the time he had the fever. Again I begged him to go to the E.R., again he wouldn't, and said he'd go to the Dr. after New Years,  and that was right before Christmas. So finally we went to the Dr. that my kids and I go to, and again the urinalysis showed no U.T.I., but the Dr. told him he needs to go get a C.T. scan. to see if he has kidney stones or possibly even kidney CANCER!

He started to make the appointment for that, but then they told him that  HIS portion, after his health insurance, was going to be 400$. He then told them, "Never mind. I'm not coming. Thank you Bye." Now, it would be one thing if we REALLY couldn't afford it, but later in the day we went to Best Buy and he dropped 500$ on a new 50 inch flat screen tv, and Monday he's going to go to the body shop to pay over 400$ to have a tiny scratch that nobody can even really notice taken off his precious truck.

I keep trying to explain to him that HE is much more important and valuable than his stupid truck and how seriously messed up it is that he doesn't mind dropping all that cash to make his truck perfect, but something that could potentially save his LIFE isn't worth that much money.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_jessika
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:55 AM
My so has some issues going on to and he refuses to go to the dr :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Due9
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Have std's been ruled out?

Men can be so stubborn about their health needs.
loisl25
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM

What  IS it with men, anyway? Are they all just scardy cats or what?!

Quoting mommy_jessika:

loisl25
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM
LOL! Yeah, I told him if it's an S.T.D. he's dead meat, cuz I know he didn't get it from me!
Quoting Due9:

Have std's been ruled out?

Men can be so stubborn about their health needs.

mommy_jessika
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM
He says he doesn't want to find out anything serious . I keep telling him he has a family to live for but he won't go. . Ugh its frustrating it must be men because my father is the same way !

Quoting loisl25:

Quoting mommy_jessika:

loisl25
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I KNOW! I told my husband burying his head in the sand isn't going to make him any less likely to have a SERIOUS problem, it would just prevent us from FIXING that problem.

Quoting mommy_jessika:

He says he doesn't want to find out anything serious . I keep telling him he has a family to live for but he won't go. . Ugh its frustrating it must be men because my father is the same way !

Quoting loisl25:

Quoting mommy_jessika:

stickyfingers
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM
i am like that too. just talk to him positively and tell him its probably not cancer and you will be there for him through this and he needs to get rid of the kidney stones and be able to be done with this. he is freaked out.

Quoting mommy_jessika:

Quoting loisl25:

Quoting mommy_jessika:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Just make appointment and pay in advance so he has no choice. Men are stupid why give him a choice!
bluedolly01
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM
I would make the appt for him and just take him - tell him to man up. If he is going to behave like a child then I would treat him like a child.

You only get one body and you need to take care of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashmac03
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I seriously don't understand what is with men and going to the Dr.  My DH was told 2 years ago that he had very high cholesterol (285) and very high blood pressure (170/100).  They wanted him to come in to see a nutritionist and get on a plan to bring his levels down.  Here it is 2 years later and he still hasn't gone back.  I get so frustrated and try to explain to him that he has three little girls and a wife that love and need him but he won't go in.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)