Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Washing clothes - really old school way.

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM
  • 12 Replies

"Warshing Clothes Recipe" -- imagine having a recipe for this!
(Thank goodness those days are long gone!)

Years ago a Bisbee grandmother gave the new bride the following recipe:
  This is an exact copy as written and found in an old scrapbook  -
   with spelling errors and all.
drowning in laundry

WARSHING  CLOTHES
Build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water.
Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert.
Shave one hole cake of lie soap in boilin water.
Sort  things, make 3 piles
1  pile white,
1  pile colored,
1  pile work britches and rags.
To  make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.
Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil, then rub colored don't boil just wrench and  starch.
Take things out of kettle with broom stick handle, then wrench, and starch.
Hang old rags on fence.
Spread tea towels on grass.
Pore wrench water in flower bed.  Scrub porch with hot soapy water.
Turn tubs upside down.
Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs.  Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count your blessings.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Hannah on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM
LOL at "warshing", that's how my grandmother would say it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellaamore
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Thats awesome... 

I dont know that id hate it so much. Life was simpler in those days.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM

BUMP!

Arwyn724
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Before I read the post, I envisioned banging them with rocks (from the title).  It was almost that bad.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I would prefer banging with rocks than exposing my hands to boiling water and lye.  That stuff eats the crap out of skin.

Quoting Arwyn724:

Before I read the post, I envisioned banging them with rocks (from the title).  It was almost that bad.

Arwyn724
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Quite true, I didn't give it that much thought.  I used to wash clothes at my Nana's house with an old ringer washer...I loved that.  Then we hung them outside to dry.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would prefer banging with rocks than exposing my hands to boiling water and lye.  That stuff eats the crap out of skin.

Quoting Arwyn724:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM

The ringer washer I would not mind it is the cleaning detergents that i do LOL.  I grew up using a push mower in dads back yard.

Arwyn724:

Quite true, I didn't give it that much thought.  I used to wash clothes at my Nana's house with an old ringer washer...I loved that.  Then we hung them outside to dry.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting Arwyn724:

Arwyn724
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Yeah, a rotary blade push mower, no motor.  Wow, I'm old...........

Quoting frndlyfn:

The ringer washer I would not mind it is the cleaning detergents that i do LOL.  I grew up using a push mower in dads back yard.

Arwyn724:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting Arwyn724:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Nah.   You did however (probably) get spoiled by the simplicity of life as a child whereas now children are bombarded with all these insane things. I miss my childhood summers baking with g-grandmother in her kitchen and visiting neighbors.

Quoting Arwyn724:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Arwyn724
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I had a fantastic childhood with my g-parents.  My mom & dad divorced when I was 2, and my sis & I spent a lot of time at their house, we had our own room. She had laundry day, baking day, everything was scheduled, but I had tons of play time outdoors, no shoes, it was great.  Very simple, but full of life & love.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Nah.   You did however (probably) get spoiled by the simplicity of life as a child whereas now children are bombarded with all these insane things. I miss my childhood summers baking with g-grandmother in her kitchen and visiting neighbors.

Quoting Arwyn724:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN