Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Once a sex offender always a sex offender?

Posted by   + Show Post
What are your thoughts on this?

My dh's cousin had sex with her 13 year old sons best friend (also 13). She served 3 years, was released, and says she is a completely different person now. She says she knows she was wrong.

I don't understand how she don't know it was wrong before, by now she does. Dh thinks I'm judging her too harshly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Replies (41-50):
3boysmommaNY
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM

If the person was 18, and had a partner that was 17, then i don't think they should be considered an offender. But if its someone like your dh's cousin, then yes. That's gross, and they should always be considered an offender. gross.

taniamorse85
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Based on personal experience (my father is a SO; no, I was not one of his victims), I don't believe sex offenders are likely to change.  Also, sex offenders tend to have exceptionally high recidivism rates compared to other types of criminals.

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Yes. Always, always, always a sex offender and would never take a chance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tresproudmommy
by #1postkiller on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Ask your DH how he would feel if the shoe was on the other foot?  What if it was a male that sexually abused a young girl three times, would he still feel that they can change.  Needless to say, this world is full of double standards and if the roles were reversed in this situation, the man would still be in jail.  IMHO once a predator always a predator!

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:34 AM
IDK, that one lady who had sex with her student and went on to have 2 kids with him and married him...she's a registered sex offender but hardly seems like a threat to anyone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:45 AM

my twin is in prison for sex with a 14 year old (when we were 38).  I would never trust him again.  Frankly I believed him when he said he didnt do it.  I cant fathom anyone doing this, especially my twin! When he came clean a few months ago I was shocked.  I dont want him around me or my kids ever again.  You cant unring that bell.  

icn_mom
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:45 AM

I dont honestly believe that a true sex offender can be rehabed.

kybelle
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I would judge her too probably but I don't think that one mistake makes a person a sex offender. 

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM

My BIL got caught in one of those, To Catch a Predator, type online stings. My DH and his family don't beileve he's a risk. He creeps me the hell out and that was BEFORE I found out about his sex offender status. Will he molest my children, I don't know. I'm as sure as hell not goign to risk it though.

Pooobaihr
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Depends on the situation.

Something like this, yeah.

In cases where the person gets falsely accused, of course, cause they never did anything to begin with.

But a repeat offender, or, someone who is showing signs that they would clearly repeat... No.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)