Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Freezing fresh fruit...

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM
  • 21 Replies
What fresh fruits can I freeze that I can thaw each day for my son(22mos). He eats 2 small fruit cups a day. I buy those Dole 100%Juice fruit cups and they're so expensive after a while. Fresh fruit goes bad a lot faster, so if you have some suggestions about what fruit freezes and thaws well, if reeaaallllyyyy appreciate it!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shygurl3166
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Bump! I'd like to know also :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawn4175
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Grapes and strawberries freeze well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CamMa
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM
What about apples? Do they thaw well?

Quoting Dawn4175:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
idareyou
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:37 AM

No fruit thaws that well IMO - freezing it changes the texture too much, most get mushy. Apples freeze well if you're going to make pie or applesauce, but I wouldn't thaw and eat raw. Cantaloupe & honeydew are decent after they thaw, and pineapple. Grapes are awesome frozen but get mushy, all berries get mushy. I'd let him nibble on the frozen fruit if you want to go that route.

CamMa
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM
That's what I was thinking. I like frozen grapes, but he doesn't like frozen things in his mouth. He never even liked the frozen teething rings. It seems like it hurts his mouth. I'll figure it out. Lol! Thank you!!

Quoting idareyou:

No fruit thaws that well IMO - freezing it changes the texture too much, most get mushy. Apples freeze well if you're going to make pie or applesauce, but I wouldn't thaw and eat raw. Cantaloupe & honeydew are decent after they thaw, and pineapple. Grapes are awesome frozen but get mushy, all berries get mushy. I'd let him nibble on the frozen fruit if you want to go that route.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM
It all ends up mushy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
idareyou
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:52 AM

This isn't necessarily the best idea, BUT, there are some frozen fruit salads that you could make - yes, the fruit texture changes when it's thawed but since it's got other stuff it's not as bad. The one I make is using more canned fruit though, but I'm sure fresh would work - chop pears, peaches, pineapple, my kids like mandarin oranges in it, cherries, bananas, grapes, berries, etc. Mix all together, add some pineapple juice if you use all fresh fruit, some 7-up or other citrus soda, maybe some orange juice. Spoon into cups, with juice, and freeze. I know there are many similar recipes out there but this is the one I use - I've only made it in huge quantities though.

CamMa
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM
That sounds delicious! Thank you!!

Quoting idareyou:

This isn't necessarily the best idea, BUT, there are some frozen fruit salads that you could make - yes, the fruit texture changes when it's thawed but since it's got other stuff it's not as bad. The one I make is using more canned fruit though, but I'm sure fresh would work - chop pears, peaches, pineapple, my kids like mandarin oranges in it, cherries, bananas, grapes, berries, etc. Mix all together, add some pineapple juice if you use all fresh fruit, some 7-up or other citrus soda, maybe some orange juice. Spoon into cups, with juice, and freeze. I know there are many similar recipes out there but this is the one I use - I've only made it in huge quantities though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

You could freeze the fruits and then make smoothies.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Hannah on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Do you do anything special to the strawberries? They never freeze well for me, the juice leaks out of them.

Quoting Dawn4175:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)