Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Healthy drinks, besides water, for a toddler...

Posted by   + Show Post
My son doesn't like water. He'll drink a little from my cups here and there, but out of his own cups, that's a no-go. I've even tried just giving him water and nothing else, thinking if he got thirsty enough, he'd drink it. Nope. After 2 days, about 8 sips of water and about 3 barely wet diapers, I caved and gave him his diluted Gatorade. lol, I water down ALL of his juice. He mostly drinks Gatorade and water. A couple times a month, I give him about 2 oz of apple juice, super diluted, but that gives him the runs. I really wanna break him of this no-water stuff because that's mostly all we drink around here and I know juices aren't great for him all the time. Help me, please!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

You're right to be afraid of fake sweeteners you risk unnecessary damage to their brains and nervous systems as well as immune system complications.  You're better off with sugar and clear kool-aid.

Quoting CamMa:

He's only 22 mos. can I give that to him? The fake sweeteners make me nervous. I don't even drink them. Lol
I've even tried lessening the Gatorade and putting more water, but he knows and won't drink it when it gets below a couple oz.

Quoting poietes:

Not really the best option but you can get those packets like crystal light and put just enough in to flavor the water. We can make one of those packets last up to 3 to 5 glasses of water.

AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Have you tried fruit teas? My kids will drink them. They also really like kombucha but it's pricey. I hope he learns to like water! I would stay away from any artificial sweeteners.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CamMa
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM
I haven't. He has his 2 year well checkup 2 months from tomorrow. I guess I could call them and ask, but they're a little bitchy at that office. I'm only still there because I like the doctor(he was mine, too). Thank you!

Quoting jhslove:

Have you asked the pediatrician for advice? I'm not really much help--my daughter (15 months) drinks water and milk only. But maybe the pedi can recommend something.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Water and milk. But limit milk to one or two small cups a day as it can inhibit absorption of nutrients. Just start watering down his juice or whatever you give him gradually until its only water or an occasional splash of juice in water. Just replace a quarter of the juice with water in each cup until its just water. He won't notice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CamMa
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM
He only drinks one cup of milk a day. Before I brush his teeth at night. He doesn't like milk much, either. lol, thank you.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Water and milk. But limit milk to one or two small cups a day as it can inhibit absorption of nutrients. Just start watering down his juice or whatever you give him gradually until its only water or an occasional splash of juice in water. Just replace a quarter of the juice with water in each cup until its just water. He won't notice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CamMa
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I hate to keep saying this, but he doesn't like tea either. My SO is super picky and I think Cameron has inherited that. lol, I drink sweet tea(not very sweet. Like 1/2 cup a gallon, so it's not sweet) and he won't even drink that. He eats what we eat, but won't drink what we drink. lol, thank you! We do stay away from them. We buy regular Gatorade for him with actual sugar. lol

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

Have you tried fruit teas? My kids will drink them. They also really like kombucha but it's pricey. I hope he learns to like water! I would stay away from any artificial sweeteners.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kbornman21
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this
Coconut water?

Try juicing fruits?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsErdos2011
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Cocnut water is great for hydration. It's actual recommended over gatorade to rehydrate athletes.   I'm not much help, my 1.5 year old loves water, he refers it over juice.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this

My kids like fruit in their water. You could try blending whole fruit with water, then straining it to get the fruit bits out.

Coconut water is another option and it's very healthy.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Have you tried flavoring your own water just using a splash of juice?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)