Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Healthy drinks, besides water, for a toddler...

Posted by   + Show Post
My son doesn't like water. He'll drink a little from my cups here and there, but out of his own cups, that's a no-go. I've even tried just giving him water and nothing else, thinking if he got thirsty enough, he'd drink it. Nope. After 2 days, about 8 sips of water and about 3 barely wet diapers, I caved and gave him his diluted Gatorade. lol, I water down ALL of his juice. He mostly drinks Gatorade and water. A couple times a month, I give him about 2 oz of apple juice, super diluted, but that gives him the runs. I really wanna break him of this no-water stuff because that's mostly all we drink around here and I know juices aren't great for him all the time. Help me, please!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Replies (21-30):
CamMa
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Actually, I completely forgot. Early in the summer, I put strawberries and lemon in water and let it sit and he loved that! Thank you!

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

My kids like fruit in their water. You could try blending whole fruit with water, then straining it to get the fruit bits out.

Coconut water is another option and it's very healthy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CamMa
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Yeah. I don't like the taste. He doesn't know the difference, because he's never had juice that wasn't watered down. So he drinks it like that.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Have you tried flavoring your own water just using a splash of juice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmorales7690
by Proud Army Wife on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Smoothie!! Fruit milk yogurt yummy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I would force the water issue.  I think beverages are the start to obesity in kids.  They get a taste for the sweet flavors of juice, soda, etc and cant just enjoy water.  In our house 90% of what we drink is water.

andersongirl562
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Give him a bottle of water my kids think it tastes better lol or capri sun makes the pouches of water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Have you tried putting, like, a little lemon juice in the water? I get tired of plain water, so I throw some lemon in it. You can also let cucumbers, sliced up, sit in water overnight and flavor it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jmp1279
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

try adding a drop of food color to his water.   maybe also add a drop of flavoring to the water

I had to this with my kids

Noni2319
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
You could try using fruit to flavor the water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CamMa
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I have tried forcing it, but I'm not gonna dehydrate my kid. He used to drink water. Idk what happened. And he's far from being overweight. Thanks.
ETA: he's only ever had soda once. And it was a sip. We don't drink it much, but we have it for our families when they come for holiday events.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I would force the water issue.  I think beverages are the start to obesity in kids.  They get a taste for the sweet flavors of juice, soda, etc and cant just enjoy water.  In our house 90% of what we drink is water.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CamMa
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Really? Pouch water? Where can I find this? I've only seen the fruit juices that they make, but I don't buy them. lol, this may work.

Quoting andersongirl562:

Give him a bottle of water my kids think it tastes better lol or capri sun makes the pouches of water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)