Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Healthy drinks, besides water, for a toddler...

Posted by   + Show Post
My son doesn't like water. He'll drink a little from my cups here and there, but out of his own cups, that's a no-go. I've even tried just giving him water and nothing else, thinking if he got thirsty enough, he'd drink it. Nope. After 2 days, about 8 sips of water and about 3 barely wet diapers, I caved and gave him his diluted Gatorade. lol, I water down ALL of his juice. He mostly drinks Gatorade and water. A couple times a month, I give him about 2 oz of apple juice, super diluted, but that gives him the runs. I really wanna break him of this no-water stuff because that's mostly all we drink around here and I know juices aren't great for him all the time. Help me, please!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Replies (41-50):
balagan_imma
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM

If you want him to drink water, then offer him water. You are the parent and at 22 months you should be making the majority of his food decisions for him. The more you "cave" the harder it will be.

That being said, my kids loved mint magic or honey chamomille tea with a little honey. My older 2 were huge into water anyway. My youngest one, it was the tea or milk.

If you are a milk person then I would suggest research on the cornucopia institute for healthy and quality milk. Organic milks are not equal and some are little more than a sham.

Personally I would stay away from anything like Crystal light. It's junk and if you aren't thrilled with watered down Gatorade, this isn't the answer.

michiganmom5150
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM
My kids like the flavored water, like the fruit2o. Maybe try that? They like water, though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Be careful and read the ingredients because some of them have artificial sweeteners. I was so excited when I found the Hansen's.

Quoting CamMa:

I have never seen these water boxes or pouches! I need these things!!

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

I give my girls one juice box a day. The tiny ones, I think they're 4 ounces. My 2 year old drinks the water boxes. They are flavored with a splash of juice. They're by Hansen's and they're organic. Other than that they drink water.

If we're at a party, I allow them one cup of soda. I give them about 3 ounces of that but then it's water for the rest of the night.
michiganmom5150
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM
My dentist has a sign in the office showing the worst drinks for kids. Obviously Mountain Dew is the worst, but the yellow green lemon lime Gatorade was pretty high on the list. I asked her about it and she said it was worse than the others. Something about the coloring in it.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Yeah the pediatrician told me to give them some only after they've had diarrhea. Also, I believe there's something in it that can weaken your enamel so, OP be careful with his teeth.

Quoting naomishere:

Gatorade is actually bad for toddlers it messes with there electrolytes

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:39 AM
The yellow is my favorite! Lol.

Quoting michiganmom5150:

My dentist has a sign in the office showing the worst drinks for kids. Obviously Mountain Dew is the worst, but the yellow green lemon lime Gatorade was pretty high on the list. I asked her about it and she said it was worse than the others. Something about the coloring in it.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Yeah the pediatrician told me to give them some only after they've had diarrhea. Also, I believe there's something in it that can weaken your enamel so, OP be careful with his teeth.

Quoting naomishere:

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I bought a Jack Lalaine juicer for 89.00 at Kroger.

Quoting CamMa:

I've been looking for juicers. But the only cheap ones I've found were citrus only ones and I can't drop a couple hundred dollars on one that does everything right now.

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

what about getting a juicer and making your own?

CamMa
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM
He eats everything that we eat. I refuse to be a short order chef. lol, but I can't let him dehydrate himself just because he doesn't wanna drink water. I'm gonna try fruit in his water again. I don't give him Crystal Light or anything like it and he only gets one cup of milk, right before I brush his teeth before bed. He doesn't like milk much, either. He had a milk protein allergy when he was an infant, so I think that's where that came from. He doesn't like a lot of stuff with cows milk in it. What is mint magic?

Quoting balagan_imma:

If you want him to drink water, then offer him water. You are the parent and at 22 months you should be making the majority of his food decisions for him. The more you "cave" the harder it will be.

That being said, my kids loved mint magic or honey chamomille tea with a little honey. My older 2 were huge into water anyway. My youngest one, it was the tea or milk.

If you are a milk person then I would suggest research on the cornucopia institute for healthy and quality milk. Organic milks are not equal and some are little more than a sham.

Personally I would stay away from anything like Crystal light. It's junk and if you aren't thrilled with watered down Gatorade, this isn't the answer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryLu86
by Mary on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I crush up fresh fruit to flavor water, my kids love it! Their favorite is strawberries (with a little lemon/lime juice if the strawberries are sweet)!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andersongirl562
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM
they are with the juices....they are called roarin waters I think???

Quoting CamMa:

Really? Pouch water? Where can I find this? I've only seen the fruit juices that they make, but I don't buy them. lol, this may work.

Quoting andersongirl562:

Give him a bottle of water my kids think it tastes better lol or capri sun makes the pouches of water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CamMa
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM
I don't give him soda. But thank you. He usually drinks the purple Gatorade. Not that that matters much. lol

Quoting michiganmom5150:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting naomishere:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)