Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cooks help please....

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM
  • 14 Replies
I am making banana bread. The recipe calls for 2/3 cup of sugar I only have about 1/3 cup of white sugar will it taste funny if I do the other half in brown sugar? I really dont want to go all the way to the store (15 mins. away) just to finish it and I already started mixing it up. Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM
No idea, here is a bump....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:22 AM

it will be fine with brown sugar.  It will have a caramel taste, just calll it bananas foster bread.  

kayelynnesmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Thanks

Quoting crwspringer:

No idea, here is a bump....

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I would maybe use honey. but you can use the brown - it's just going to change the consistency. 

AHmom103
by Alexis on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM

It should be fine. You could also substitute honey, but I can't remember the right ratio for that.

Arwyn724
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Brown sugar can be substituted for white sugar in baking, but it tends to make the item more moist, so you may have to reduce the wet ingredients a little.  It also gives a very rich caramel flavor.  I do not eat banana bread, so I do not know how it would affect the taste, but I like it in things I've substituted it for.

LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM

It will be richer with brown sugar but will turn out just fine. I always do half white/half brown

kayelynnesmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Thanks ladies! I should have checked my sugar first but I wasnt paying attention.
SlightlyPerfect
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Try honey, too. Or maple syrup.

slightlyperfect

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM

It will be different, - but not in a bad way - a packed up of brown sugar is the equivalent of a cup of white sugar. Your bread will probably come out a bit more dense with more of a caramel taste than normal.might not be GREAT with banana bread, but it will not be hORRIBLE you might even like it!

but on the upside less calories.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)