Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Dental Van. Does your kids school have one?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM
  • 17 Replies
So at the beginning of the year when we fill out a billion papers for school, there was one for a 'dental van' I quickly read bits and pieces, signed it and sent it back (dumb I know now)
I assumed it was a thing where they learned about dental hygiene.
My son came home today and had a cleaning, and a filling, and a $194 bill.
I was pretty confused.
I called and apparently it's a low income based thing. They go to the school and so cleanings, X-rays, and simple procedures.
They had no insurance record on file, so billed me (I gave them insurance info and only have to pay $53 now =))
Anyway, has anyone ever heard of this service?
I like it, saved me having to take a day off and him miss school, do wish that I was informed before they did the filling...but I guess I was..should have read paper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Never heard of it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM

No,nothing like that at my daughter's school.I wouldn't have her do it even if they did.She has a dentist and I prefer her to do everything.

jrobin8
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Never heard of it.

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM
The special needs preschool that dd went to has them come every year. We tried doing it once and she wouldn't let them examine her teeth so I got my money back.
It took 2 more times of her going to the dentist before she would let someone examine her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

No we take the girls to the regular dentist that we all go to.

momma-flynn
by ♥Gee Willickers♥ on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM
They do that at dd's school. I don't sign the paperwork because I have no clue who the dentist is that comes & I want myself or dh to be there if dd is getting dental work done. I had a very bad experience as a kid with a dentist.
Ktina11
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM
They have at at my son's school. We use our own dentist tho.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aivlys_
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:19 PM
I have never heard of this, we have a trusted dentist we see often. I would be worried for a random dentist working on my children's mouth out of a van. I don't live in a low income area so its just not something we see here..... :-/
waffa
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

dunno about where you live, but the dental truck that comes to our schools is simply a visual oral exam (no xrays) and if kids need treatment a note is sent home.

low income, high income, makes no difference; they don't actually do treatment...

not sure what to tell you.

Quoting Y2kmomma:

So at the beginning of the year when we fill out a billion papers for school, there was one for a 'dental van' I quickly read bits and pieces, signed it and sent it back (dumb I know now)
I assumed it was a thing where they learned about dental hygiene.
My son came home today and had a cleaning, and a filling, and a $194 bill.
I was pretty confused.
I called and apparently it's a low income based thing. They go to the school and so cleanings, X-rays, and simple procedures.
They had no insurance record on file, so billed me (I gave them insurance info and only have to pay $53 now =))
Anyway, has anyone ever heard of this service?
I like it, saved me having to take a day off and him miss school, do wish that I was informed before they did the filling...but I guess I was..should have read paper.

pasteeater
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:28 PM
They had something like that at my sons school. He went once for a check up thing that I allowed. They sent home papers saying all this stuff done. I took him to our dentist. They said he didn't need that stuff done. I saw a program on tv after that and they showed all this really bad stuff done to kids. I only take my son to our dentist now. That way I know what's going on. I don't like the idea of vans or buses giving out medical attention. Dentistry is not some side show.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN