Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I know I lied but don't ground me!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM
  • 5 Replies

That's what my 16 year old said to me yesterday after i caught him lying to me. 

My son is a high school freshman.  In 7th grade his grades were really bad and it was on purpose.  He had a running bet with his friends on who could get the worst grades.   By 8th grade he started getting better and was trying.  9th grade started out much better.  his 1st report card of the semester was pretty good.  His 2nd report card of the semester was the best grades he's had since 5th grade.  Th en over winter break  I get a letter from his social studies teacher that he's gonna fail if he doesn't bring in his missed homeworks.  The man gives 5 homeworks a marking period and he's missing at least 3 to fail.   Then his Italian teacher decides to finally post some grades up on the website (only science and Italian ever post them) and he's missing 3 homeworks.  After he got back on the 2nd he's now missing a 4th homework.    The weekend before school started back up his Science teacher posts a reminder to do the break assignment which was to define 150 words  but it was due this past Friday.  He of course put it off till Wednesday.  i watch him do it or so i thought.  He did some Wednesday and some Thursday.   He comes home from school yesterday and this is the fun part.  I ask him how school was and his response was "great because his science teacher is giving t hem till Monday to do the definitions.  So i tell him that He did it all already so why didn't he just hand them in.   He starts to tell me that he lost some of them.  I remind him he did them in his notebook how did he loose some.  He starts off telling me that he ripped them out of his book in the morning  and put them in his book-bag and then by the time he got to science 9th period some were gone.  He starts to try to come up with more lies to make his lie believable when i called him on it and he caved.  I start to discuss his lying and he tells me Okay i know i lied mom but don't ground me. 

The most important lesson I try to teach them is to take responsibility for your actions or in this case non actions.  Lying is never the answer so needless to say he's gronded from everything. I havnt decided just how severe or how long because i was to mad to decide.  On top of punishing for lying he has to also face the consequences of the missing homework.

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
afwifeandmommy3
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I think he should be doing nothing but missing assignments . And then a report on the effects of lying
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Someday he will realize that it takes more energy to lie and fake doing the work than it does to just do the work in the first place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Someday he will realize that it takes more energy to lie and fake doing the work than it does to just do the work in the first place.

I hope that some day comes soon   lol  

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Me too! I am constantly telling DS that his procrastination is going to kill us both!

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I hope that some day comes soon   lol  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Yep... Grounded til missing homework is completed (all missing homework and current homework) and two reports (hand written neatly) one on the effects of lying and one on personal responsibility.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN