Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My baby has the flu :(

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM
  • 11 Replies
Ds is 13 months and we have all been vaccinated but me and ds still got the flu. I took ds to doctor today and he got prescription of tamiflu. I haven't been able to go yet because my doctor isn't open on weekends unless I go to the ER. Should I go to the ER for this? I'm so worried about ds, his fevers get so high and I know the flu can be very dangerous for young children. Does anyone know how long it takes for tamiflu to kick in? How long does the flu usually last? When do I have to take ds to ER if he doesn't get better? His fevers shot all the way up to 104.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommySarah986
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM

no clue on tamiflu.    DD did not get flu until she was 4.  Before that she got norovirus each year same month every time.. take him to the ER if ibuprofen or tylenol does not bring down his temperature within 30 minutes to an hour.

crazy4u49033
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM
We just got over the flu. My 4 year old and 5 month old had it. We did not take tamiflu so that is up to you. My doc said that the fevers could last 4 days(they did) and the cough could last 2 weeks. For the fevers you can alternate tylonal and Motrin. Also, get a humidifier if you don't have one. We made it thru just fine. It was kinda scarey, but manageable. Things to watch for: fever that lasts more than 4 days, fever that goes away for a day and returns, chest heaving when breathing, extremely lethargic, not drinking, trouble breathing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommySarah986
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Thanks, it is so scary especially for young kids.

Quoting crazy4u49033:

We just got over the flu. My 4 year old and 5 month old had it. We did not take tamiflu so that is up to you. My doc said that the fevers could last 4 days(they did) and the cough could last 2 weeks. For the fevers you can alternate tylonal and Motrin. Also, get a humidifier if you don't have one. We made it thru just fine. It was kinda scarey, but manageable. Things to watch for: fever that lasts more than 4 days, fever that goes away for a day and returns, chest heaving when breathing, extremely lethargic, not drinking, trouble breathing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2JoshNXavier
by Lynn on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM
My 3 year old had it last weekend. He had a fever for 4 days, vomiting for one. He still has a cough.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommySarah986
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM
I have a 3yr old too but she hasn't gotten it yet so hopefully she won't. Ds isn't vomiting, I was though. His fever just gets so high:(

Quoting Mom2JoshNXavier:

My 3 year old had it last weekend. He had a fever for 4 days, vomiting for one. He still has a cough.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-flynn
by ♥Gee Willickers♥ on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM
I've never taken tamiflu so idk how long it takes to help. Just keep a close eye on the fever & if you get too worried follow your gut & take him to the ER.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
crazymama1008
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM

If it hits 105 with meds yes.. Most docs will not tell you this  but you can give motrin and tylenol at the same time and then tylenol 4 hours later and motrin 6 hours later. But you can do them at the same time bc they are processed by two different systems of the body. They did this for my son when he was 18 mo. old. He had an ear infection that just attacked him hard! He is also asthmatic so his immune system is compromised anyway.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

tamiflu doesnt cure the flu just make the symptoms shorter by at least 12 hours

TableforSeven
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Make sure to keep giving him fever-reducing meds as ordered by the doc....if they didnt give you orders for fever reducers call and ask immediately.  Make sure to offer liquids to you baby as often as possible.  Every little bit counts.  Don't go to the ER unless he is overly-lethargic, stops drinking, or his fever won't go down even after meds.

I don't know about tamiflu....sorry.  Our youngest son had the flu at 5 months old....but the doc never put him on anything but fever reducing meds.  The main part of the flu lasted about 2.5 days for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN