Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Carseat Experts, is this safe?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:26 AM
  • 16 Replies

So I was looking at this, and I consider myself a bit of a carseat freak when it comes to strapping my daughter in. Normally I just toss a blanket over top of her, and then I came across this.

Now this pattern has batting on the inside, and I would think the batting would make it too thick, but I have heard that if the baby needs to wear a jacket in the car, a simple fleece cover is all that is acceptable? True? False?

So if I were to make this blanket out of one simple layer of fleece, with no batting inside, would it be safe to use?

I don't have a little on in an infant carseat, nor am I pregnant, I just wanted to see what the experts thought about something like this before I even considered adding this pattern to my binder.

http://www.imperfecthomemaking.com/2012/01/tutorial-hooded-car-seat-blankies.html

by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jmaw89
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I *think* to be safest possible one would cut a large whole so that none if the material interfered with any straps. If that makes sense the product would still wrap around but wouldn't have anything underneath the babe.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:33 AM

We had something like that for our kids when they were babies.  It was much safer than having them in a bulky coat in the carseat.

mommyofTC
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:36 AM
I loved ours!! My grandmother made me one for my boys just like that and with just a fleece blanket so it wouldn't be to hot seeing I live in Al. I've never had a problem with them.
bowribbonmama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:37 AM
Nothing that isn't specified in the manual SHOULD NOT be used IN the seat.
You can buy covers that go over top of the seats. Those are safe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:45 AM

i have no clue but  i like the idea say if you were in a store and didnt want the child in a coat.

MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Nope. If it goes between tje child and the seat, it's a no go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonGrace
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Not safe. If it is between the child and the seat, or the child and the straps, it compromises safety.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jplumb
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM
I have a friend who made me one for my baby shower. There are slots where the straps go through and it just lays against the seat. I'm not sure if I'm going to use it or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommynMonster
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Use your common sense and if you think its ok, then its ok. If the material is fleece and doesnt mess with the straps its no different then a fleece jacket. That said, you might have better luck with a cover that goes over the whole seat because this one looks like its easy to kick off

TheMrs407
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM
No it's not okay. Anything behind the child interferes with the straps and thus compromises the safety.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)