Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

6 year old with ear tubes?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:03 PM
  • 11 Replies

Has anyone's older child had ear tubes put in? I will be taking DS to the ENT on Tuesday and I'm assuming that he will suggest tubes, but I've never heard of an older child getting them. My DS had 3 double ear infections last year in 6 months all resulting in ruptured eardrums then they stopped over the summer. Now we are back to having them again. He had a single infection on 11/18 and then a double on 12/21. He had a check-up in between so we know that the first one cleared up.

by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stef1976
by New Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM
My ds (15) has a stationary tube in his right ear. He started getting tubes at age 3. His last one at 13
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TFour
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:16 PM

My oldest daughter is 9 and has a set of t-tubes. I am 35 and had my 10th set of tubes (this set are t-bues too) put in in November. 

Ktina11
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM
My dad got them about 5 years ago ( he is in his 50's). It happens. My friends daughter never had an ear infection then bam....she starts kindergarten and had several. Dr. told them if it happens again, they will talk tubes. Like you, my friend was like really?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Javamom00
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM
My son had them done twice. At age three and 5. The worst part is watching them go under. After the first day there fine. My older son had it done at 10. Stay calm and lots of hugs for 48 hours
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lottie925
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM

My dd got them just before her 5th birthday with adenoids. Wonderful results!

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM

my oldest was 4 1/2  and my youngest one was 4  when they got tubes in

jenny198356
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM

My daughter had one that  lingered for almost 2 months and antibiotics didnt touch it. We did amoxicillan...lo and hi dose. Omniceft which she broke out in a full body rash with, and augmentin...made her sick. Finally took the leap and got tubes. She was 4...Just had them removed this past may at 6 -1/2. They were awesome. Never had any ear infections, her speech cleared up because she could finally hear, and now instead of not being able to hear...she throws back attitude. lol. It sucked the day of, but the rest of the time was awesome. She was out of it when they came out of surgery and cried off and on until she finally came to. Surgery took maybe 15-20 minutes. Taking them out was an office procedure. Only thing I would say is take some motion sickness pills with you...mine got sick on the hour drive home and puked all over the car...lol.

chickensmommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Adults get them all the time too!
louzannalady
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I had tubes in my ears in first grade. I have always battled chronic ear infections (yay for being formula fed!). They made ear plugs especially for my ears with warm foam. (Funny, the things you remember...) And I wore them in the shower and bath and swimming. It helped a little. As I have grown up, I have been tested for allergies and I keep my sinus congestion under control with diet, which helps my estachia (sp) tubes function better to drain the fluid from my ears. I also pop Mucinex the moment I have congestion and that helps keep and sinus infection/ear infection from forming as easily. Also, seeing a chiropractor helps a lot, because they use pressure pints (and they taught me how to do it myself) to help my sinus congestion and they adjust on my eats that helps. : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:12 PM
My older son had his first set At 5. He is getting ready for his second set at 7.

He was bouncing off the walls within 10 minutes od being home from the hospital.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)