Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I don't know why they were staring at us.... O_o *edit

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

DH and I just went to lunch with our youngest (almost one)

While we were waiting to be seated I noticed several customers staring at us.

I don't know if it was cause I was the only black person in the restaurant

I don't know if it was cause DH was in his uniform (he is in the Air Force)

I don't know if it was cause the baby was asleep in her carseat

I am not dressed inapproriately, none of us have weird colored hair...no visable tattoos, no piercings but my ears.

It was weird....they didn't have mean looks on their face...they were just staring. No one was rude...the watress was very nice and keep going on an on about how pretty the baby was.

And once we sat down I started talking to my DH  so i didn't notice if people kept staring.

We live outside of Dayton, near a Air Force base. It was mostly older (50 and up I would guess) white folks.

It was weird....I mean we have been stared at before....and its always weird :-/

*For those of you that are saying it maybe because we are an interracial couple - I know that is or the uniform is probably the most likely reason but I try not jump to conclusions. I can't assume because a person, white or black, is staring at us just because we are an interracial couple...it just doesn't seem to fair for me to make that assumption

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe they were in awe of such an adorable baby and how she slept during all the hustle and bustle.

ebbierowe
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM

lol...thanks...she did wake up half way through though

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I used to get alot of stares when dd was a baby and i am not black so was trying to think of other reasons.

Quoting ebbierowe:

mybabytristan
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Its prob the uniform...I always look when someone is in uniform
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ebbierowe
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Thanks...I am too...shewas dressed for the weather too...I thought maybe that was it....but no coat, blanket, mittens, and a hat

Quoting frndlyfn:

I used to get alot of stares when dd was a baby and i am not black so was trying to think of other reasons.

Quoting ebbierowe:

MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Might be Air Force uniform.  I often want to go up and thank the soldiers I see in fatigues but I feel uncomfortable so I don't.

willyworm
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Maybe they thought you made a cute looking couple with an adorable baby. :) 

ebbierowe
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM
That's what I am thinking it was...but u get stares when I am alone with the baby too....but I chalk that up to her being adorable...lol

Quoting mybabytristan:

Its prob the uniform...I always look when someone is in uniform
got2monsters
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM
many people are not accustomed to interracial relationships, in oklahoma its no usually big deal, but in certain parts of texas its unheard of. my husband is from a very small town and when he first moved where i am, he was culture shocked because he genuinely didnt realize people dated outside their own race. i was shocked he didnt know that but it really was foriegn to him. maybe that particular group of people just were a little surprised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Is your DH white? (I only ask because baby looks light in your avi)... Many older people are still rude about inter racial relationships.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)