Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Getting remarried.... question about our children and the reception? Edit

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM
  • 29 Replies

My fiance and I are in a bit of a pickle right now.  We will be getting married 1/11/2014.  We have 2 children from previous relationships and while our kids will be in the wedding, I don't want children at my reception.  How on earth could we make it so we can take the children BACK to our ex's (it will be their weeks with them, we are on a week on, week off schedule) but we....A) don't have to invite our exes to the wedding (because they would be who would take the children so that we can leave for our honeymoon) B) Won't have to meet our exes in our wedding attire (again because they are the ones who will take the kids) and C) Make it so our family members don't miss out on the fun of the reception? (first dance, dinner, pictures, etc....  Btw both of our exes live at least an hour away from our ceremony site.  Any ideas?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:06 PM

i am so confused.. why would you invite your exes?  why would your family members miss out on the wedding?

have the wedding

have a sitter pick up the kids

have your reception

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM

No clue.   All the weddings I have been to have allowed the children to participate in reception as well.  Maybe have a family fling the weekend before or something as a pre reception.

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM

ETA: we had a no child wedding as well, with the exception of my ring bearers. 

i am a BIG fan of child free wedding...

tangerine_dream
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Quoting tangerine_dream:

My fiance and I are in a bit of a pickle right now.  We will be getting married 1/11/2014.  We have 2 children from previous relationships and while our kids will be in the wedding, I don't want children at my reception.  How on earth could we make it so we A) don't have to invite our exes to the wedding B) Won't have to meet our exes in our wedding attire and C) HOW CAN WE Make it so our family members don't miss out on the fun of the reception because they have to talk the kids back to their other parents?  Btw both of our exes live at least an hour away from our ceremony site.  Any ideas?

World's Poor Pessimist. (something borrowed,kate hudson,ginnifer goodwin)

ColieO
by I Rock on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Why would you invite your exes? Please clarify.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM
I would try to find a sitter. When our friend's sister got married, their DD was a flower girl. She went to the reception for some pictures and then I went and picked her up and took her to our house for a few hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tangerine_dream
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Okay, I just made the text stand out more, we don't want to invite the exes (they will need to talk the kids), we dont want to meet up with them before the reception in a tux and wedding gown and if we ask our parents to take them they might miss the first dance and dinner since they live so far away.  Sorry if I came off rude. 

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

ETA: we had a no child wedding as well, with the exception of my ring bearers. 

i am a BIG fan of child free wedding...

Arwyn724
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Have a sitter arrangement at your home.  Take the children there between the church ceremony and the reception.  Or if the reception hall has the availability, set up a child-care room there and offer it to all the wedding guests with kids.

ChelseySpelsey
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM
See if you can find a sitter. You've got plenty of time to get that figured out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I would assign someone to drop them off at your Xs house between the ceremony and reception.  If that is not possible you could hire a sitter old enough to drive that will watch them and have the sitter pick them up after the ceremony.  I personally would allow my kids to have dinner and then send kids home.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)