Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Freezer question PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM
  • 11 Replies
What is the best / most economical way to freeze individual portions of meet?

I usually by meat in family packs and break it down into smaller portions. Recently I've decided that it would be easier for me if I wrapped each price individually so I can pull out exactly what I need for a a particular recipe. I've been wrapping each piece in Saran Wrap then putting them in a freezer bag. I do have a food saver but the bags can get pricey to use for individual pieces. Is wrapping them in Saran Wrap adequate (and are there any tips to make it easier to work with! Lol) or should I still use the foodsaver or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcmom10
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Honestly, that's what i would do - wrap it first and then put in freezer bags. I would think that would keep it fresh and free from freezer burn as long as it's not in the freezer for months and months. Curious to see what others will say myself.

scperdomo
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Sounds good to me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I prefer freeze-tite plastic wrap then heavy duty foil.

mandiNthomas
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM
I use those perfect portions bags especially for chicken breast. For pork chops i put 7-8 in a freezer bag. But yes sounds like u know what ur doing ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TonyaO
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM
I've never heard of this? Is it easier to work with! Lol where do you out?

Quoting SuperPickle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:18 PM

BUMP!

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I actually get it on amazon. I havent found it locally, but I think it is cheaper this way too, especially since I have amazon prime.

http://www.amazon.com/Freeze-tite-Plastic-Freezer-258-06-Feet-8-Inch/dp/B001F0RBJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357596891&sr=8-1&keywords=freeze+tite

you can get single rolls on places like soap.com if you dont want the big quantity above.

Quoting TonyaO:

I've never heard of this? Is it easier to work with! Lol where do you out?

Quoting SuperPickle:

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I put each piece of meat into a ziplock sandwich bag and then group them together by meat type in a ziplock gallon bag. And I use a sharpie to date stamp everything. Then I pull out exactly what I need and thaw it. I used to freeze in groups of 3-4 but it was harder to thaw and sometimes I'd want more/less of something.

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I sometimes do plastic wrap and into a zip lock freezer bag.   It's ok for freezing for 1-2 months. Longer than that.  I prefer my Food Saver.  I know the bags can be expensive.  But sometimes worth it.  If you can get a really good deal on some meat.

TonyaO
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM
That's why I started freezing individually too :)

Quoting illinoismommy83:

I put each piece of meat into a ziplock sandwich bag and then group them together by meat type in a ziplock gallon bag. And I use a sharpie to date stamp everything. Then I pull out exactly what I need and thaw it. I used to freeze in groups of 3-4 but it was harder to thaw and sometimes I'd want more/less of something.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN