Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

You need to use shampoo too dude

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:16 AM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

Oh my....guess I didn't think to mention this to him before.

I used to buy 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner for the kids....but I can't find anywhere here that sells it, so I have been buying separate shampoo and conditioner for the last 4 months.

I was just checking my son's head for lice (long story....but he's lice-free and hasn't gotten them at all).  While checking his head I realized that his hair feels strange - kind of brittle and crunchy.  So I asked him if he's been using conditioner or just the shampoo.  He said "I only use the white stuff". Lol - you goof.....that is the conditioner!  So, apparently, for the last few months he's been "washing" his hair with conditioner only.

I just explained to him the shampoo and conditioner situation.  So, next time he'll start using the shampoo.  He's 10 years old...we don't go in and help him with showers...and haven't for a long time now....it just never occured to me that I needed to explain this to him back in September.  Lol

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:43 AM

aww poor guy.  He has been spoiled by the 2 in ones.  I would have him just use shampoo for while and lay off conditioner.

TableforSeven
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

aww poor guy.  He has been spoiled by the 2 in ones.  I would have him just use shampoo for while and lay off conditioner.

I was thinking the same thing.  At least a few times....until his hair feels more 'normal' again.

I rub his head all the time - he has thick, short hair....I guess I noticed that it felt 'scratchy' before - but never really thought about it until this morning.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting frndlyfn:

I was thinking the same thing.  At least a few times....until his hair feels more 'normal' again.

I rub his head all the time - he has thick, short hair....I guess I noticed that it felt 'scratchy' before - but never really thought about it until this morning.

maybe 2 weeks of shampoo only and go from there.   I rarely use conditioner on my own hair and we use it on dd (age 6) once a week.

TableforSeven
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting frndlyfn:

maybe 2 weeks of shampoo only and go from there.   I rarely use conditioner on my own hair and we use it on dd (age 6) once a week.

We'll have to play it by ear....so how using just shampoo goes.  At least his hair is short so it won't be hard to comb through.  I have to use conditioner almost every time I wash my hair.  My hair is very thick and if I don't use a tiny bit of conditioner I can't get a brush or comb through it.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:12 AM

We'll have to play it by ear....so how using just shampoo goes.  At least his hair is short so it won't be hard to comb through.  I have to use conditioner almost every time I wash my hair.  My hair is very thick and if I don't use a tiny bit of conditioner I can't get a brush or comb through it.

Yup short hair is a blessing in this case.  I used to have long thick hair, now it is medium weight closer to thick but i had it cut over the summer.   The spray in conditioner works better for the tangles in my case but guessing that is hard to find there as well.

MsRkg
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Lol. That's cute. Have you considered ordering online for your stuff and just getting a bunch in bulk. It's not like it's going to go bad. lol

TableforSeven
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Quoting MsRkg:

Lol. That's cute. Have you considered ordering online for your stuff and just getting a bunch in bulk. It's not like it's going to go bad. lol

I think things will be ok now that he knows there are two things to use instead of one....have to check with my younger son that he is using both - but I'm pretty sure he is since his hair is soft.

There would be a few problems ordering on-line.  I would have to find an American company that would ship overseas.  It wuldnt make sense to just order a little at a time...but by the time I'd order enough to make shipping worth-while, the cost would be enough that we'd have to pay import taxes on the shipment...and that would be crazy-expensive.  The shampoo and conditioner we get here is great...and smells awesome....I just need to make sure the boys are using it all right - I know my girls are.

MsRkg
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Ahh you're overseas. Yea that can makes  things difficult. Gotcha though.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting MsRkg:

I think things will be ok now that he knows there are two things to use instead of one....have to check with my younger son that he is using both - but I'm pretty sure he is since his hair is soft.

There would be a few problems ordering on-line.  I would have to find an American company that would ship overseas.  It wuldnt make sense to just order a little at a time...but by the time I'd order enough to make shipping worth-while, the cost would be enough that we'd have to pay import taxes on the shipment...and that would be crazy-expensive.  The shampoo and conditioner we get here is great...and smells awesome....I just need to make sure the boys are using it all right - I know my girls are.

TableforSeven
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yup short hair is a blessing in this case.  I used to have long thick hair, now it is medium weight closer to thick but i had it cut over the summer.   The spray in conditioner works better for the tangles in my case but guessing that is hard to find there as well.

Spray in stuff never really worked for me.  I use the tiniest little bit of conditioner....a ball about the size of a fingernail (the conditioner here is really thick and rich). I just out it in and rinse it right through....and not even every time I wash my hair either.  It works well (at least it works well when you are washing your hair too **roll eyes at DS**).

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Spray in stuff never really worked for me.  I use the tiniest little bit of conditioner....a ball about the size of a fingernail (the conditioner here is really thick and rich). I just out it in and rinse it right through....and not even every time I wash my hair either.  It works well (at least it works well when you are washing your hair too **roll eyes at DS**).

oh that is good that a tiny bit does ya AFTER you wash your hair.  LOL.  I am sure he will not live this down for awhile.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN