Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Any tips for getting nits out?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM
  • 5 Replies

Ok - I am in lice-hell right now.  We did the second treatment on DD today and I am trying to use the comb on her hair (which is very thick and down to her butt) and I am having a heck of a time getting the eggs/nits off her hair.

Anyone have tips on how to get these dead things to come off?

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
momof3grls4517
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Try olive oil it will help loosen them. good luck

TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Quoting momof3grls4517:

Try olive oil it will help loosen them. good luck

Thanks.  We'll give that a try for sure.

davnrori
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

It is going to be an extremely long and arduous process to get all of the nits out of thick waist-length hair. I know because my daughter had lice 3x last year. The olive oil will make it easier because the it dissolved the "glue" that holds the nits to the hair shaft. However, you will need to leave it on for at least 12hours and 24hours is the best. Then take a nit comb and go through her hair literally an inch at a time, starting as close to the skull as you can get and moving the comb all the way down to the bottom of her hair. You may need a bright overhead light to see if the piece is clear of nits and you need to use a small enough section of hair that you can see each individual strand. It is exhausting and it takes forever. It took me over 5 hours to comb through my daughter's hair (she watched two movies) and I also had to wash her hair about 7 times in a row to get the oil completely out of it. Not to mention washing all of her bedding, hats, coats, and hair items on the sanitize button on my washer and dryer. I also had to treat her mattress and the carpet in her room because lice eggs can be dormant for up to a month after being laid before hatching. The second time she got lice, she cried because she knew how long the treatment would take and when I told her that the only way to shorten the time was to cut her hair, she begged me to cut it. I cut her waist-length, thick, beautiful hair to her chin that night, and combed through it completely in about 2 hours. The next week I took her to the stylist to get it properly styled. If you plan on keeping your daughter's hair long, prepared for the longest, most hand-cramping day imaginable.

Meadowchik
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

...Good luck!

If you manage to beat them, I recommend some lice repellent.  I get it at out pharmacy, and so far my kids are lice-free.  I probably would not have paid for it 3 years ago, then we went through "lice Hell" like you!

TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Quoting davnrori:

It is going to be an extremely long and arduous process to get all of the nits out of thick waist-length hair. I know because my daughter had lice 3x last year. The olive oil will make it easier because the it dissolved the "glue" that holds the nits to the hair shaft. However, you will need to leave it on for at least 12hours and 24hours is the best. Then take a nit comb and go through her hair literally an inch at a time, starting as close to the skull as you can get and moving the comb all the way down to the bottom of her hair. You may need a bright overhead light to see if the piece is clear of nits and you need to use a small enough section of hair that you can see each individual strand. It is exhausting and it takes forever. It took me over 5 hours to comb through my daughter's hair (she watched two movies) and I also had to wash her hair about 7 times in a row to get the oil completely out of it. Not to mention washing all of her bedding, hats, coats, and hair items on the sanitize button on my washer and dryer. I also had to treat her mattress and the carpet in her room because lice eggs can be dormant for up to a month after being laid before hatching. The second time she got lice, she cried because she knew how long the treatment would take and when I told her that the only way to shorten the time was to cut her hair, she begged me to cut it. I cut her waist-length, thick, beautiful hair to her chin that night, and combed through it completely in about 2 hours. The next week I took her to the stylist to get it properly styled. If you plan on keeping your daughter's hair long, prepared for the longest, most hand-cramping day imaginable.

It took hours this afternoon getting as many of the nits out as possible....but that crap really sticks to the hair!  Blech!  I will try olive oil in the next few days.

As far as cutting her hair......well, that idea isn't going over to well here. DD loves her long hair.....she has been growing it out forever.  We have fights over her getting a simple trim for years now.  We did talk about it though and we've already done two treatments....I said we will see if this second one ones the trick.....there were no full grown lice this time, just nits.  I'll try the olive oil to loosen those next.  DD and I did agree that if we can't beat the little buggers after a third treatment, we will get her hair cut.....but it won't be totally chopped off, that would kill her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)