Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

A friend of mine's daughter was lost.. from school.

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM
  • 12 Replies

In NY. there are still some places where there is religious education that is allowed. 

My friend's child goes to one of the religious education classes.. The church picks the kids up walks them several blocks to the church and then has the classes and then the kids go back to school and get on the bus's.

Well.. My friend's child didn't leave with the group.. because she had decided she didn't want to go.. But about 15 mins later decided.. She wanted to go.. so she and another girl.. Got their coats.. and left. Walking almost a mile to the church alone.. Through the middle of the town and almost were hit while crossing the street by a SEMI! 

Now the mom never knew about any of this till after school when the girl fessed up.

Now the school wants the girl suspended..

And the mom wants to know how the school never noticed that she left AFTER EVERYONE ELSE.. She had decided to stay with her class.. So why didn't the teacher notice.. School is saying they are not at fault.. 

The mom wants to know..

IS SHE OVER REACTING? 

Should the school be held responsible?

And since she has already talked to the principle.. he says they did nothing wrong.. WHO ELSE CAN SHE TALK TO...?

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AMBG825
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

What is the age of the child? A high schooler or maybe even a middle schooler I would put squarely on the child. Less so for the middle schooler but they're still old enough to know better.

Beyond that, I would want to know how the Hades a child can walk out of school without anyone noticing. and if the principal can't answer it, I would be talking to the superintendent and the school board. Plus I would be at the next school board meeting finding answers as well.

shyone_91786
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM

So wait were they at school and left to go to church if so it is the school fault because they are responsible for the kids, like the other mom said she needs to talk to the school board and go to the next meeting.

momof3grls4517
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

BUMP!

SweetMamii
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM

IF IT HAPPENED DURING SCHOOL, THEN THE SCHOOL IS RESPONCIBLE!

arent they supost to keep count, and make sure everyone is there before they leave?

JavaLadybug2
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM

NOPE.. These are 2nd graders.. aka 6-8 YEAR OLDS..

Quoting AMBG825:

What is the age of the child? A high schooler or maybe even a middle schooler I would put squarely on the child. Less so for the middle schooler but they're still old enough to know better.

Beyond that, I would want to know how the Hades a child can walk out of school without anyone noticing. and if the principal can't answer it, I would be talking to the superintendent and the school board. Plus I would be at the next school board meeting finding answers as well.

JavaLadybug2
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momof3grls4517:

BUMP!

Lets keep this discussion alive!

specialwingz
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

The school is responsible for the safety of children for the entire time that school is in session. This sits squarely on the school's shoulders.

JavaLadybug2
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Quoting specialwingz:

The school is responsible for the safety of children for the entire time that school is in session. This sits squarely on the school's shoulders.

Yet they are still waiting to hear from the Superintendant to even call them back..

BTW.. This happened 1/2/13

kylenkodysmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
At 6-8 years old, the school is responsible. How the hell did the teacher not notice the children were not in class??? The parents of the children should punish the girls though. They were still wrong in their actions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JavaLadybug2
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Quoting kylenkodysmom:

At 6-8 years old, the school is responsible. How the hell did the teacher not notice the children were not in class??? The parents of the children should punish the girls though. They were still wrong in their actions.

She(mother) did ground the daughter from television for the night.. and gave her a pretty lengthy lecture on why that was TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)