Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What is the Paleo diet?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM
  • 18 Replies
I have heard a lot of people talking about this diet. Anyone here on it, and can you explain what it is?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashmac03
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:42 PM

The paleolithic diet (abbreviated paleo diet or paleodiet), also popularly referred to as the caveman dietStone Age diet and hunter-gatherer diet, is a modern nutritionalplan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various hominid species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era—a period of about 2.5 million years duration that ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture and grain-based diets. In common usage, such terms as the "Paleolithic diet" also refer to the actual ancestral human diet.[1][2]

Centered on commonly available modern foods, the "contemporary" Paleolithic diet consists mainly of fish, grass-fed pasture raised meats, vegetables, fruit, fungi, roots, and nuts, and excludes grains, legumesdairy products, potatoes, refined salt, refined sugar, and processed oils

smartmommy1050
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM
The basic premise is you only eat what a caveman would eat: meat, veggies, nuts, and fruits. It's actually an extremely healthy (if not difficult) way to live. There are a TON of Facebook groups, blogs, cookbooks, etc. if you are interested.
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Hmmm... Sounds interesting. I have just heard a lot of people talking about it. Not sure if it something I would try though. Thanks!
SpnFulOfSugar
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Fruits, veggies, meats, nuts, seeds, no dairy or grains.
doulala
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I love this but am curious about some details ( ...dressing on salad?  ...soups/other cooked foods with sauces, etc?), that's why I hadn't started it yet myself.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I asked my doctor about this and he was strongly against it. He told me to go with clean eating as a better diet.

momto2boys973
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM
IMHO, a good diet is one you can follow for life, and that can be accommodated to modern life. If you have to nitpick what you eat or refuse the meal altogether when you're invited to dinner or go to a restaurant because your diet doesn't allow for breads, pastas, dairy, or certain processes foods, it's not a diet that a normal person will be able to follow realistically.
I believe food has evolved for humans in being much more than sustenance, it has become an emotional, psychological, cultural, spiritual and social aspect in our lives, so to go back to an era where food was just for sustenance isn't a realistic option in our modern times.
doulala
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

I asked my doctor about this and he was strongly against it. He told me to go with clean eating as a better diet.

Why against?
And what is meant by clean eating?    (like kosher?)

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM

It can cause some major issues in how your body processes things and can be damaging to many people without them knowing until they begin the process. Clean eating just means to stop eating processed foods. Once I did this my life changed dramatically. Any diet should be discussed with your doctor. I am so glad I did this. I know one woman who tried the paleo diet and it causes horrible stomach craps. She called her doctor who told her to eat the way she was used to and see her the next day. She never did another day of it. She switched to clean eating as well. 

Quoting doulala:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Why against?
And what is meant by clean eating?    (like kosher?)

JasonsMom2007
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM

My doctor recommended the anti candida diet.  It's a little less strict and has does amazing things for my family :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)