Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Any couponers out there???

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM
  • 5 Replies

I want to start couponing, but have no clue how to do it. So if there are any couponers ,please can you give me some tips!!!! Thank u !

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AMBG825
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Start with a website that helps you out. such as couponmom.com or grocerygame.com. Those will help give you a lot of tips to help get you started.

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:18 AM

ehh I rarely use coupons cause they are for crap we don't buy. or you have buy multiples and you are not really saving much, (LIke 1 dollar). 

mcwife86
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM

coupons.com is a good website for printable ones. i also buy mostly organic or all natural food so i go to the brand name's website and register there. they send coupons for things like horizon, earthbound farms and more. i also only clip for things i actually use. just because there is a coupon doesn't mean there is a good deal. if you have a coupon for mustard and you dont care abt the brand then see how much the mustard is with the coupon and look for one cheaper. also make sure you read the fine print. some will only allow you to use up to four of the same coupons on one trip. look in your area for places that double coupons. there is a store down the road here that doubles them up to a 1.00. so lets day i have a coupon for paper towelsfor .60 they will double it up until the limit of 1.00. If it is something you use often then dont be afraid to buy more than you normally would if you have coupons. for example i like bottled water. i get coupons that end up being buy 3 cases get 1 free after you have added all of the coupons together so i just go ahead and get all four rather than wait and get one or two at a time. oh and Sunday newspapers. buy one of each kind with coupons if you can. i have noticed different papers will carry different coupons and then i give the ones i don't want to a friend.

TonyaO
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:24 AM
This. Www.couponmom.com is my favorite site I use on a regular basis. I also use the divider pages that can be downloaded at www.krazycouponlady.com

When I first started I also watched a few YouTube videos on different ways of organizing your coupons. Some people leave there inserts whole and only cut out the coupons they new for a particular trip, I cut mine up and use te binder method.

A big thing with couponing (at least for us) is not to be brand loyal. For example I will buy almost any toothpaste I can get for $.50 or less (a few times a year I can get it free, I really stock up then) rather then only buying one specific brand.

You will save the most money matching coupons to sales, that is where te above websites are most helpful, but also look at your local stores sales flyers am try to match whenever you can. Know your stores coupon policies as well, which stores double and how much etc.

Another big thing is dont try to be like the people on extreme couponing, that is not totally real. I used to get upset with myself because I "only saved 40%" lol. On average now if I'm diligent about matching my coupons and sticking to my list I can save an average of 50%+.

I do not have a massive stockpile, but I do try to keep enough on hand so I don't HAVE to buy basic things like personal care items, paper products etc. I often plan our menus around sales / coupon match ups. Do not buy stuff just because you have a coupon, that's not a savings.

You can also look up te insert schedule for the year, this will help you know when to buy extra papers or not. I also suggest looking up sales cycles, it helps to know when things typically go on sale so you can plan to stock up.

Another thing that maybe helpful is to start a price book (I still need to do this myself) to keep track of common items and their prices so you know when to stock up if there is a really good deal.

Personally, couponing has become my hobby, I'm not always super diligent and I have yet to reach super status and save 80% etc, but I love looking at my binder when it's full of well organized coupons, and I enjoy the challenge if saving as much as possible. Even my 13 yo dd gets in on it, she'sways asking if we have a coupon for this or that, she also aske to look up coupons before we go school shopping etc (www.mommysavesbig.com ) is an awesome site for retail coupons, I gl there to look for coupons before any shopping trip with dd. good luck :) feel free to pm me anytime, it's helpful and I enjoy having coupon buddies lol. My friend and I often cut and organize coupons together, it makes it go by sooo much faster!

Quoting AMBG825:

Start with a website that helps you out. such as couponmom.com or grocerygame.com. Those will help give you a lot of tips to help get you started.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3boys1110
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:31 AM
I've been reading Pick another checkout lane honey by the krazy coupon ladies, its been very helpful! They walk you through it from being a beginner all the way to the end!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)