Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Need help.from moms who have actually used/use coffee for adhd

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 23 Replies
Has anyone actually used coffee for adhd and if so did it work?.how many.cups a day did you use and how long did it work?.did your child get addicted to.coffee?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BekkieBoodle
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM

My mom used to give my little brother chocolate covered coffee / espresso beans.  It worked well... and it didnt have the side effects that the meds would give him.  My brother didnt like taking the meds because they made him feel weird and he didnt have an appetite

MrsRi
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I give my son a small cup of coffee in the morning, it helps calm him down and keeps him focus for a few hours.  A friend suggested ice coffee and I'm going to try that as well.  He is now on the lowest dose of adderall, between the two there have been some improvements.  I use caffeine to help with my ADHD, but it took years to figure it out. 

supermom0609
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM
He was on focalin xr but it started giving him bad side effects so we discontinued it but he is so hard to handle without anything so im thinking of coffee

Quoting MrsRi:

I give my son a small cup of coffee in the morning, it helps calm him down and keeps him focus for a few hours.  A friend suggested ice coffee and I'm going to try that as well.  He is now on the lowest dose of adderall, between the two there have been some improvements.  I use caffeine to help with my ADHD, but it took years to figure it out. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM

My DS12 used to be on adderal. I hated the side effects of the drug. So now I give him a cup of coffee in the morning. Usually by lunch at school it starts to wear off so I've spoken to the school nurse and she gives him a caffeine supplement at that time. Usually just one cup of coffee and one caffeine pill is all he needs.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM

my son had add and sometimes has emotional meltdowns espcially in the mornings (he is not a morning person) and a cup of coffee has helped calm down and focus for the day

3boysmommaNY
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM

During the summer when my oldest wakes up wound up as tight as possible we give him literally about a cup of black coffee, nothing in it. He'll drink it and we would have a great day.. I also send him outside... But during the winter we give him a lot of activities to focus on, and have changed his diet to help with it. 

kansasmom1978
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:41 PM
My mom gave it to me. I give my son with autism pop once a day. Caffeine calms him down. It is a stimulant and in my opinion better than another pill.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommykc
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM
My son has ADHD. Before he got tested and we knew he had it. We gave him Mountain Dew. It worked. People gave me a look on me giving him Mountain Dew. It calmed him down. With other kids that soda would make them hyper. Not kids with ADHD. I give him one kid sippy cup or a small kid cup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM
I gave him about 6 oz of coffee of course put milk.and sugar in it but didnt seem to help much
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermomz25
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:01 PM

my husband has adhd/add and my MIL used coffee for him. to this day he still uses coffee and he drinks probably about 1-2 cups a day. it really does work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN