Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can I give this dog a raw steak?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM
  • 23 Replies
My neighbors dog got out, they aren't home and I've had this dog in my backyard for 3 hours. She's a pit/lab mix. I don't have a dog, so no dog food. I do however have a New York strip and some hotdogs. I eat rare steaks, so it has to be ok to give this dog a raw steak, right?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3boysmommaNY
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Not really...raw meat isn't good for you if you are not used to a raw meat diet. I wouldn't feed it.

MammaPaparazza
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:46 PM
2 moms liked this
Wolves eat raw meat, meh ... I'd give it but that's me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LADYxGHOST
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Dogs do not eat much, she may have had her food for the day or will be feed this evening.  When you say they are not home, do you mean for the day or on vacation? If for the day, wait until they get back, if on vacation call the local shelter.  Feeding a dog different food like human meat can cause medical issues with the dog. 

Paperfishies
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM
No idea where they are. I would assume they'd be home sometime tonight but I'm not about to dedicate my night to watching their driveway. I will walk back over there around 8,for the last time until the morning. If they aren't home at 8, when I go over there I will leave a note on their door, saying I have their dog.
I gave it water and it's eating dirt out of one of my flower pots.

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

Dogs do not eat much, she may have had her food for the day or will be feed this evening.  When you say they are not home, do you mean for the day or on vacation? If for the day, wait until they get back, if on vacation call the local shelter.  Feeding a dog different food like human meat can cause medical issues with the dog. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixxydust
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Feed the dog some green beans
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixxydust
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Feed the dog some green beans
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I see nothing wrong with feeding a dog raw meat.

LADYxGHOST
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I have 4 dogs and the love to dig and taste new stuff. Are you concerned the dog is hungry?  If so, and no one is home tonight, feeding the dog should be done caustiously.  I would go with hotdogs over the steak.  My vet said that the processed meat in hotdogs is similair to the meat in dog food so not a big differents for the digestive tract.  Usually they are used in stubern dogs for training when other dog treats wont do.  If you have a can of beef/veggie stew that would actually be better then the hotdogs and 1 can should be enough until morning.  At that time you should be calling a shelter or if you intend to keep the dog until they return, get dog food.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Some dogs are actually fed a raw diet.

My cat only eats raw rabbit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LADYxGHOST
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM
2 moms liked this

BTW I want to thank you as a dog owner for looking after your neighbor's dog.  Thank you for being a wonderful neighbor!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN