Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

need opinions ladies....sicky daughter & red 40

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM
  • 7 Replies

hey ladies im kinda at a loss right now but im starting to scratch my head with an idea.  SO!

Thursday night my daughter got really sick about 830 pm and threw up all threw out the night. By friday morning she was much better eating some crackers drinking water. but we worried about dehydration.  She drank water but not much. So just before dinner i sent Hubby to get pedialyte.  He got the strawberry flavored kind.  about an hour later she threw up again.  and a couple times threw the night.

Saterday she was great! little sleepy but didnt throw up was happy looked like she was over the "bug"!

Saterday Hubby and I got sick. It was barley a 24 hour bug and were fine and over it eating normal.  Sunday since we are all feeling good we decide to go grocrie shopping (all we had was bread and p.butter super time ti go shopping)  So since we had it i filled a sippy with the straw berry pedialyte (second cup iv givin her)  and not 20 min later she threw up in the car!!!  So we took her home but she seamed fine.  started to play again and was happy. Monday OMG it was like i had 3 toddlers not 1 she was so active.  Tuesday she started ok wanted some breakfast so i gave her some milk then some pedialyte and some bread but she seamed kinda moody after words until she got sick again.  So we took her to Pediatrician.  Doc says she has lost 7 pounds but other wise looks ok. Not dehydrated and to give clear liquids, pedialyte, and only feed her if/what she wants to eat.  Well since we are late we decided to hi McDs since mother in law was taking me grocery shopping while hubby went home with our daughter.

She was hungry! and playing!! she ate 3 chicken nuggets 3 bites of fries and an apple slice.  Didnt get sick!! i thought OK maybe we hadnt needed to go to pediatrition and she is over it now.  i was happy

this morning she is up early and bushy tailed! has chex for breakfast some water and a bite of donut! nothing to heavy but still filling.  (she wont eat just crackers LOL)  At lunch i gave her a slice of turkey deli meat and some Jello and some straw berry pedialyte (dont want it to sit there and she needs the electrolytes)  and 2 hours later she is sleepy moany and "bluuurp" all over hte couch again...

so im not sure if you saw a pattern. But i think i have it.  Could it be instead of a LOOOONG sporadic tummy bug. Could it be Red 40? its in the jello and the pedilight.  My daughter does have a fruit alergy but its only bad if she eats a whole banana or a whole bunch of fruit....but i was thinking the "natural" "artificial" fruit flavor could possibly be doing it to.....

What do you ladies think?  any suggestions?  im going to not give her any more of hte pedialyte or strawberry jello.  And see if she gets sick again this week.  but other then that im not sure what to do.  should i go to her doc? i read its hard to test for....

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
nathansmommy331
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:47 AM
Sounds like it could be it. Cut it out & see how she feels. If you still need to give her pedialite try the clear non flavored kind.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:50 AM
does she get other things with red dye? it's everywhere you know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:53 AM

yes red dye 40 is a strong possibility if  she is reacting to red dye 40 she will also react to yellow number 5

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Could be but also could be the strawberry. Try using a clear Pedialyte.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EsmeVincent
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:23 AM
this

Quoting nathansmommy331:

Sounds like it could be it. Cut it out & see how she feels. If you still need to give her pedialite try the clear non flavored kind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KittyTussand
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM

this is the first time with red dye. I dont usually buy premade stuff and iv never givin her jello before.  She has a fruit alergy so i try to stay away form anything fruit flavored. The only things she eats thats processed from store is ceriol, honey grams, or balona lunch meat.  It could be the "strawberry" as another mom posted but those arent real fruit juices i thought.  Im not really sure. Iv taken her off all things with dye for the next week. see how she does.

she kept her dinner down last night.  Rice chicken and broccoli. THis morning i fixed her ceriol and half an orange. So far so good.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

does she get other things with red dye? it's everywhere you know.

CafeMom Tickers
KittyTussand
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM

thanks ladies for your replys.  For the next week she isnt going to have anything with dye in it.  We shall see if she gets sick anymore.  so far today she is active and happy. ate a good dinner last night and a good breakfast!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN