Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Was breastfeeding hard for you too?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM
  • 39 Replies

Breastfeeding was so hard for me. He never really took to latching on. I ended up mostly pumping and feeding the breast milk through a bottle. Wondering what struggles other moms had. What questions did you have? What was hardest? What do you know now about breastfeeding that you wish you had known then?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southernbelletx
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM
I think the hardest part for me was feeling like my body wasn't my own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM

No,it came pretty naturally to my daughter and I.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I am extremely thankful that I had absolutely no issues with nursing all 3 of my boys.

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM
It was mostly easy, but pumping threw a wrench in the works. He was only given 1 or 2 pumped bottles, but that was enough to mess him up. I guess I wasn't responding to the pump well enough so the majority of those bottles was foremilk; he ended up with lactose overload. Once I figured out the problem it was simple enough to fix, but it was a little rough in the meantime.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:10 PM

breastfeeding was so difficult for me I ended up giving up both times. with my son I could never get him to latch on. he just wouldn't do it. my daughter did. she loved to breastfeed. but it was just too painful. my nipples got very raw and sore. they were bleeding. it hurt so bad everytime she nursed. I could feel the pain thru my whole body. I only nursed her for 2 weeks cuz during the 2nd week it just became too much. I would nurse her thru the pain for 3 whole hours and she would still be hungry. she wanted to nurse 24/7. I couldn't eat or sleep. mentally and physically I just couldn't do it anymore. I started giving her bottles of formula here and there and after a few weeks just switched to formula completely cuz it was just so much easier and pain free.

adrianasmommy07
by Kristin on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM
My son was born tongue tied and it took 9 days to grt it clipped. We ended up having to pump and bottle feed him so he never mastered a good suckle and we ended up with a milk imbalance. He was a gassy miserable baby and I finally gave in and put him on formula.
NananRaysmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM
I tried for a few days and.I.was very uncomfortable with how it felt. I pumped for a few months..but both of my kids ended up on soy milk.
mirayou7912
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I had A LOT of trouble with breast feeding. When he'd latch, it'd hurt too much. Couldn't get my hands on a GOOD pump. I finally switched to hand pumping, wasn't producing enough, even using fenugreek and drinking mother's milk tea. I tried consistently for about a month. Even went as far as trying to get him to latch back on. STILL couldn't produce enough. After about two weeks of breast/formula feeding, I just switched to strictly formula. I tried for about a month straight.

weddingcountdown.com

Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:15 PM
It seemed to come naturally, but I have many friends who had problems.
ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Yep. My oldest took 3mo to latch correctly so I had sore bleeding nipples for months.

My youngest hated bf and had horrible colic. He screamed non stop for 5mo until I stopped bf. I really hope next time will be better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)